Baron Tollemache, of Helmingham Hall near Ipswich in the County of Suffolk, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. The Tollemache family's surname and the title of the barony is pronounced // TOL-mash.
|Barony of Tollemache|
Blazon: Argent a fret sable
|Creation date||11 January 1876|
|Peerage||Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|First holder||John Tollemache|
|Present holder||Timothy Tollemache, 5th Baron|
|Heir apparent||The Hon. Edward Tollemache|
|Remainder to||Heirs male of his body lawfully begotten|
("I trust and am content")
The title was created in 1876 for John Tollemache, who had earlier represented Cheshire South and Cheshire West in the House of Commons as a Conservative. He was the son of Admiral of the Fleet John Halliday (who in 1821 assumed by Royal licence the surname and arms of Tollemache in lieu of Halliday), eldest son of Lady Jane Halliday, youngest daughter of Lionel Tollemache, 4th Earl of Dysart.
The first Baron was succeeded by his eldest son, the second Baron. He also sat as Conservative Member of Parliament for Cheshire West. On the death of his grandson, the third Baron, this line of the family failed, and the title passed to the late Baron's second cousin, the fourth Baron. He was the son of Major-General Edward Tollemache, son of the Hon. Hamilton James Tollemache, fourth son of the first Baron. As of 2017[update], the title is held by the fourth Baron's son, the fifth Baron, who succeeded in 1975. He was Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk from 2003 to 2014. As a descendant of the fourth Earl of Dysart, Lord Tollemache is also in remainder to this peerage and its subsidiary title the lordship of Huntingtower.
Barons Tollemache (1876)Edit
- John Tollemache, 1st Baron Tollemache (1805–1890)
- Wilbraham Frederic Tollemache, 2nd Baron Tollemache (1832–1904)
- Honourable Lyonel Plantagenet Tollemache (1860–1902)
- Bentley Lyonel John Tollemache, 3rd Baron Tollemache (1883–1955)
- John Edward Hamilton Tollemache, 4th Baron Tollemache (1910–1975)
- Timothy John Edward Tollemache, 5th Baron Tollemache (b. 1939)
Coat of armsEdit
- Mosley, Charles, ed. (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knighthood (107 ed.). Burke's Peerage & Gentry. pp. 3910–3913. ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- "No. 24283". The London Gazette. 11 January 1876. pp. 99–99.
- "Danny Dyer visits Helmingham Hall during BBC's Who Do You Think You Are?". East Anglian Daily Times. 25 November 2016. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Tollemache". The Telegraph. 16 September 2010.