Baron Kilkeel is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 19 May 2018 by Queen Elizabeth II as a subsidiary title for her grandson Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, upon the occasion of his marriage to Meghan Markle. It is named after the small fishing port of Kilkeel, County Down, with a population of 6,887, in the District of Newry, Mourne and Down in Northern Ireland. On the same day, he was also created Duke of Sussex and Earl of Dumbarton. Traditionally, male members of the royal family are granted at least one title on their wedding day by the monarch.
|Barony of Kilkeel|
|Creation date||19 May 2018 (announced)|
16 July 2018 (Letters Patent)
|Peerage||Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|First holder||Prince Henry, Duke of Sussex|
|Present holder||Prince Henry, Duke of Sussex|
|Heir apparent||Archie Mountbatten-Windsor|
|Remainder to||the 1st Baron's heirs male of the body lawfully begotten|
Prior to 2018, there had never been a noble title connected to Kilkeel (from Irish: Cill Chaoil, meaning "church of the narrow"), which lies within the historic barony of Mourne. In the Middle Ages, it was said to be the centre of power of the Mugdorna (Múrna, Mughdorna, Mourne), an Irish tribe. It is located near the Mourne Mountains and is used as the base for a large fishing fleet.
The barony was newly created to allow Prince Harry to hold a Northern Irish title. The title of the barony was discussed between the Queen and Prince Harry privately; however, the Queen was the one who chose the title to bestow.
First creation, 2018Edit
House of Windsor
also: Duke of Sussex and Earl of Dumbarton (2018)
|15 September 1984
St Mary's Hospital, London
son of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Lady Diana Spencer
19 May 2018
1 child, Archie Mountbatten-Windsor
| – |
now 34 years, 301 days old
Line of successionEdit
- Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle: Announcement of Titles, The Royal Household, 19 May 2018.
- "No. 62358". The London Gazette. 20 July 2018. p. 12928.
- "Harry and Meghan appointed Baron and Baroness of Kilkeel". Belfast Telegraph. 19 May 2018. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- Dewan, Angela. "Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Harry and Meghan's new titles". CNN. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- "Prince Harry, Meghan Markle to become Duke and Duchess of Sussex". USA Today. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- Placenames Database of Ireland
- Placenames NI
- "Kilkeel". IreAtlas Townlands Database. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Royal wedding 2018: Harry becomes Baron Kilkeel". BBC News. 19 May 2018. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- Press Association 2017. "Baron of Kilkeel is Prince Harry's Northern Irish title". Windsor Observer. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- "Baron of Kilkeel is Prince Harry's Northern Irish title". Belfast Telegraph. 19 May 2018. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- Post reply (19 May 2018). "Harry becomes the Duke of Sussex and the Earl of Dumbarton". The Herald. Retrieved 19 May 2018.