Barings LLC, known as Barings, is an international investment management firm owned by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). It operates as a subsidiary of MassMutual Financial Group, a diversified financial services organisation.
|Headquarters||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Thomas M. Finke, (Chairman and CEO)|
|AUM||US$325+ billion (June 2019)|
|Owner||MassMutual Financial Group|
Number of employees
|2,000+ employees globally|
|Parent||Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company|
Barings, originally established as a firm of merchants and merchant bankers, was formed in London in 1762.
In the 1950s, Barings realised the potential of asset management and set up its own investment department in 1955. Clients were corporate clients, sovereign connections, pension funds and charitable institutions. In the 1970s, Barings expanded this business internationally with offices in the Far East, North America and Europe. In 1989, Barings combined all of its asset management activities within Baring Asset Management Limited, headquartered in London. In 1995, Barings Bank, the oldest investment bank in Britain, collapsed as a result of unauthorised trading by its head derivatives trader in Singapore, Nick Leeson, who was imprisoned for six and a half years in Singapore. It was then bought for £1 by ING Group, a Dutch bank.
In March 2005, Baring Asset Management was split and Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) acquired Baring Asset Management's investment management activities and the rights to use the Baring Asset Management name. Northern Trust acquired Baring Asset Management’s Financial Services Group.
Recent notable eventsEdit
2010 – Baring Asset Management wins the Queen’s Award for Enterprise 2010 in the International Trade Category
2012 – 250th Anniversary
2013 – Baring Asset Management completes acquisition of SEI Asset Korea Co., Ltd (SEIAK)
2016 – Barings is formed after MassMutual merges Babson Capital Management, Wood Creek Capital Management, Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers and Baring Asset Management.
- Tony Tassell (17 November 2004). "Final Step in Dismemberment of BAM". UK: Financial Times. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Barings Supports Francisco Partners' Investment in Comodo CA Ltd. - Financial Buzz". www.financialbuzz.com. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Chris Newlands (September 12, 2016). "MassMutual merger revives Barings brand". Financial Times.
- "MassMutual to buy Baring Asset unit". UK: BizJournal. 20 November 2004. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- Bloomberg Businessweek. "Company Overview of Baring Asset Management Limited". UK: Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Risks and Rewards: Merchant banking". UK: Risk and Rewards. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Timeline (1950s)". UK: The Baring Archive(charity). Archived from the original on 14 October 2013. Retrieved 10 October 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Baring Asset Management". UK: Invest offshore directly. Archived from the original on 30 September 2013. Retrieved 20 June 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Timeline (1989)". UK: The Baring Archive(charity). Archived from the original on 14 October 2013. Retrieved 10 October 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Implications of the Barings Collapse for Bank Supervisors" (PDF). Reserve Bank of Australia. 1995. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2007-09-01. Retrieved 2007-11-18. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Howard Chua-Eoan (2007). "The Collapse of Barings Bank, 1995". Time. Archived from the original on 2007-11-16. Retrieved November 16, 2007. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "ING ends link with Baring name". UK: BBC News. 22 November 2004.
- "Business: MassMutual to buy part of Barings business". Boston.com. 23 November 2004.
- "ING sells Baring Asset Management". Financial News. November 22, 2004.
- "Award Winners – Baring Asset Management Limited". UK: The Queen’s Awards for Enterprise Magazine. Archived from the original on 21 June 2013. Retrieved 20 June 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Barings celebrates 250th anniversary". UK: Actuarial Post. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Barings Enters Korea's Asset Management Market". UK: The Wall Street Journal. 16 April 2013. Retrieved 20 June 2013.