|Canton||La Montagne d'Alaric|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Jacques Fabre|
|9.40 km2 (3.63 sq mi)|
|• Density||83/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||66–502 m (217–1,647 ft) |
(avg. 75 m or 246 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Barbairanais or Barbairanaises.
Barbaira is located in the Corbières Massif, at the foot of Mount Alaric in the urban area of Carcassonne some 15 km (9.3 mi) east of the city. Access to the commune is by the D6113 road from Floure in the west which passes through the north of the commune and the village before continuing east to Capendu. The A61 autoroute passes through the centre of the commune from west to east but there is no exit in the commune. The nearest exit is Exit 24 some 7 km (4.3 mi) to the west of the commune which links to the D6113. A railway passes through commune and the village from west to east but has no station in or near the commune. The commune is farmland in the north with the slopes of the mountain in the south forested.
The Aude river forms the northern border of the commune as it flows east to join the Mediterranean Sea south-west of Valras-Plage. Several streams rise in the south of the commune and flow north to join the Aude including the Ruisseau de la Pelliere. The Ruisseau de Saint-Jean rises in the far south-east of the commune and flows north then east to join the Ruisseau de la Tuilerie.
Neighbouring communes and villagesEdit
|The official status of the blazon remains to be determined.
- Mayors from 1936
In 2017 the commune had 750 inhabitants.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE|
The commune is part of the zone for the qualitative names:
Culture and heritageEdit
- Chabert de Barbeira
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2019". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2021.
- Inhabitants of Aude (in French)
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Barbaira, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- TIGF website Archived 2015-01-06 at the Wayback Machine (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00102552 Chateau of Miramont (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00102553 IA11000076 Church of Saint-Julien-Sainte-Basilisse(in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM11000624 Baptismal font (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM11000623 Statue: Virgin and child (in French)