Banque et Caisse d'Épargne de l'État
In Luxemburgish Spuerkeess, in French Banque et Caisse d'Épargne de l'État, is the leading national financial institution founded in 1856 and governed by the law of March 24, 1989. BCEE is a commercial bank wholly owned by the Luxembourgish State.
Banque et Caisse d'Épargne de l'État headquarters on Place de Metz, Luxembourg City
|Banking and Finance|
|Founded||February 21, 1856|
|Headquarters||Luxembourg City, Luxembourg|
|universal bank Luxembourg|
|Victor Rod, Chairman |
Françoise Thoma, President and CEO
|€573.7 m (2016)|
|€240.5 m (2016)|
|Total assets||€43 444.7 m (2016)|
Number of employees
|1,633 work units (average 2016)|
Nowadays, it provides all the functions of a commercial bank, including retail banking and private banking. In terms of total assets BCEE is the third-largest bank in Luxembourg and the largest bank with domestic capital.
Spuerkees was founded by Grand Duke William III as "Caisse d'Épargne de l'État du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg" due to a Law on February 21, 1856. The board of directors had three members and had their first meeting on August 18, 1859 under the presidency of Professor Nicolas Martha. Headquarters of the Spuerkees at that time were seated in Haus Ketter in Dräikinneksgaass in the city, while their desk offices were at the Krautmaart, at the headquarters of the government commission, which is today's Palais.
Since 1862 it was allowed that foreigners could deposit their money at the Spuerkees. The trust of the public was high from the first day on, one of the reasons the deposit already reached an amount of one million francs in 1869.
- "Safest Bank Award" 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016: BCEE was ranked among the 10 safest banks worldwide by Global Finance magazine;
- "Best Bank Award – Luxembourg" 2005 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 /2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 by Global Finance magazine;
- "Best Consumer Internet Bank – Luxembourg" 2007 by Global Finance magazine;
- "Bank of the Year – Luxembourg" 2005 / 2006 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2013 / 2014 by The Banker magazine;
- "Partner Luxembourg E-Commerce" 2005 by the Chambre de Commerce en collaboration avec le CRP Henri Tudor et le soutien du Ministère de l'Economie et du commerce extérieur;
- "Prix Santé et Entreprises – Luxembourg" 2006 / 2009 by the Club Européen pour la Santé;
- "Grand Prix Paperjam RH" 2010 for its project Programme d'accueil et d'intégration Pool GDP;
- "Entreprise Socialement Responsable – ESR" 2012/2015 by Institut National pour le Développement Durable et la Responsabilité des Entreprises;
- "Green Facility Management Award 2013" and "Green Finance Award 2014".