Bangladesh at the 2016 Summer Olympics
|Bangladesh at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Bangladesh Olympic Association|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||7 in 5 sports|
|Flag bearer||Siddikur Rahman|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
The Bangladesh Olympic Association selected a team of seven athletes, four men and three women, for the Games, competing in five different sports (archery, athletics, golf, shooting, and swimming). Six of them made their Olympic debut, with freestyle swimmer Mahfizur Rahman Sagor returning for his second Olympic appearance from London 2012. Majority of the roster received their spots by wild card entries or Tripartite invitations, without having qualified. Meanwhile, golfer Siddikur Rahman, the only qualified sportsman of the team, was selected to carry the Bangladeshi flag in the opening ceremony. Bangladesh, however, has yet to win an Olympic medal.
Bangladesh received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send a female archer to the Olympic tournament.
|Athlete||Event||Ranking round||Round of 64||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Final / BM|
|Shamoli Ray||Women's individual||600||53|| Bayardo (MEX)
|Did not advance|
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- Track & road events
|Masbah Ahmmed||Men's 100 m||11.34||4||Did not advance|
|Shirin Akter||Women's 100 m||12.99||5||Did not advance|
Bangladesh entered one golfer into the Olympic tournament. Siddikur Rahman (world no. 308) qualified directly among the top 60 eligible players for the men's singles based on the IGF World Rankings as of 11 July 2016. Rahman is the first Bangladeshi to qualify for any Olympic Games in his own right, rather than relying on wild cards, tripartite commission entries or universality places.
|Athlete||Event||Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4||Total|
Bangladesh received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send a men's 10 m air rifle shooter to the Olympics.
|Abdullah Hel Baki||Men's 10 m air rifle||621.2||25||Did not advance|
Qualification Legend: Q = Qualify for the next round; q = Qualify for the bronze medal (shotgun)
|Mahfizur Rahman Sagor||Men's 50 m freestyle||23.92||54||Did not advance|
|Sonia Aktar||Women's 50 m freestyle||29.99||69||Did not advance|
- "Siddikur to wave the red and green in Rio". The Daily Star. 15 July 2016.
- "Shamoli gets wildcard entry". The Daily Star. Dhaka. 23 June 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Mezbah, Shirin complete Rio lineup". New Age. Dhaka. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Olympic Rankings – Men". International Golf Federation. 11 July 2016.
- "Siddikur Bangladesh's first ever Olympics qualifier". The Daily Star. 11 July 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Baki Olympics-bound, others uncertain". New Age. Dhaka. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "Swimming World Rankings". FINA. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
50 Metres Freestyle Female LC: 29.99 AKTAR, Sonia BAN 12/08/2016 2016 Olympic Games, 50 Metres Freestyle Male LC: 23.92 Rahman, Mohammad Mahfizur BAN 11/08/2016 2016 Olympic Games
- "Rio 2016 – FINA Swimming Qualification System" (PDF). Rio 2016. FINA. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 February 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Siddikur Rahman to be the first Bangladeshi athlete to represent nation". Catch News. 13 July 2016. Retrieved 15 July 2016.