Bangalore Metropolitan Region Development Authority
Bangalore Metropolitan Region Development Authority (BMRDA) is an autonomous body created by the Government of Karnataka under the BMRDA Act 1985 for the purpose of planning, co-ordinating and supervising the proper and orderly development of the areas within the Bangalore Metropolitan Region (BMR) which comprises Bangalore Urban district, Bangalore Rural district and Ramanagara District. Since 2007, BMRDA covers an area of 8005 km2, the second largest metropolitan area in India, after the National Capital Region. Bangalore has also emerged as India's fifth largest metropolitan city by population(and third largest city proper by population).
BMRDA is headed by Chief Minister as Chairman and the Minister for urban development as Vice-Chairman with various development agencies in Bangalore, senior officers and heads of departments as members. Metropolitan Commissioner is the member secretary. BMRDA plays a leading role in the evolution of urban development policies in the Bangalore Metropolitan Region and is expected to act as an umbrella organization for the planning authorities setup in the region. Bruhar Metropolitan Region Development Authority(BMRDA)
Area Planning ZonesEdit
The Area Planning Zones (APZ’s) are areas where urban development is permitted subject to certain regulations. The Interstitial Zones are the areas lying between APZ’s where urban activities are restricted giving more emphasis to environmental – issues like conservation of forest area, agriculture etc. For planned urban growth Local planning areas under Karnataka Town & Country Planning Act-1961 are declared in the five APZ’s and IZ’s 1 & 2. The following are the Planning/Development Authorities functioning in the Bangalore Metropolitan Region (BMR).
- Bangalore Development Authority [BDA]
- Bangalore – Mysore Infrastructure Corridor Area Planning Authority [BMICAPA]
- Ramanagara-Channapattana Urban Development Authority[RCIDA]
- Anekal Planning Authority [APA]
- Nelamangala Planning Authority [NPA]
- Magadi Planning Authority [MPA]
- Hosakote Planning Authority [HPA]
- Kanakapura Planning Authority [KPA]
- Bangalore International Airport Area Planning Authority [BIAAPA]
- Area Planning Zone-1 [APZ-1 ] (Excluding RDUDA & BMICAPA)
- All Interstitial Zones in Bangalore Metropolitan Region [Iz’s BMR]