Bangalore City–Ernakulam Intercity Express
|Service type||Intercity Express|
|Locale||Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala|
|First service||Wed 15 April 1998|
|Current operator(s)||Southern Railway (India)|
|End||Bangalore City Railway Station|
|Distance travelled||587 km (365 mi)|
|Average journey time||10h 40m|
|Service frequency||Daily each way|
|Class(es)||Unreserved, Second Sitting, AC Chair Car|
|Other facilities||Pantry Car, Catering|
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Operating speed||55 km/h (34 mph) average with halts|
In the railway budget of the year 1997–98, a plan was proposed to introduce a superfast train between Coimbatore and Bangalore. On 15 April 1998, Bangalore-Coimbatore Intercity Express train was inaugurated as Train no: 2677. In the year 2008, the service was extended till Ernakulam as Train no: 12677 after few temporary runs.
This train runs daily each way, as Train no: 12677 (Ernakulam Exp) departing Bangalore City Junction at 06:15 hrs and reaching Ernakulam Junction at 16:55 hrs and Train no: 12678 (Bangalore Exp) departing Ernakulam Junction at 09:10 hrs and reaching Bangalore City Junction at 19:50 hrs. It covers a distance of 587 kilometres (365 mi) in each direction and the journey duration is about 10 hours and 40 minutes. The rake of the train usually contains 4 unreserved coaches, 11 second sitting coaches, 2 AC chair car coaches, a pantry car, a high-capacity parcel van, and 2 SLR cars, making a total of 21 coaches.
SLR – Sitting cum luggage rake
UR – Unreserved
D – Second sitting
C – AC chair car
PC – Pantry car
HCPV – High-capacity parcel van
- "Indian Railway Budget 1997–1998". Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Southern Railways revises train timings". The Hindu. 2 July 2008. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "10 dead, over 150 injured as Ernakulam-bound Inter City Express derails near Bengaluru". Yahoo India (13 February 2015). Yahoo India. PTI. 13 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "9 dead as inter-city train derails near Bengaluru". The Hindu (13 February 2015). The Hindu. 13 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "2 Killed, Several Injured as Train Derails Near Tamil Nadu's Hosur". NDTV Convergence Limited (13 February 2015). NDTV Convergence Limited. Press Trust of India. 13 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.