Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo
Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo S.C.p.A. is an Italian cooperative bank based in Licata (in the Province of Agrigento) and Palermo, the capital of Sicily (in the province of the same name). The bank also has one branch in Lampedusa, the south most island of Italy.
|Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo S.C.p.A.|
|Unione Economica Popolare|
|Società Cooperativa per Azioni|
|Founded||29 January 1920|
Number of locations
|Services||Retail, private and corporate banking|
|Total assets||€1,111,640,116 (2014)|
|Total equity||€122,143,828 (2014)|
|Owner||7,343 individuals (2015)|
|Capital ratio||11.93% (CET1)|
|Website||Official website (in Italian)|
|Footnotes / references|
Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo was found in 1920 as Unione Economica Popolare. The bank absorbed Banca Popolare di Mussomeli in 1984, Banca Popolare di Palermo in 1989 and Nuova Banca del Monte Sant'Agata in 1994. Moreover, BP Sant'Angelo increased its stake in the finance leasing company Leasingroup Sicilia.
According to the Bank of Italy (the data was cited by Banca di Roma), in 1999 BP St.Angelo Group was ranked the 6th largest bank on Sicily in terms of branches (82 branches), behind Banco di Sicilia, Banca Popolare di Lodi, Banca Antonveneta, Banca Commerciale Italiana and Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena (BMPS). In 1997, the bank was ranked 9th (2.79%) in terms of deposits (Italian: raccolta) market in the whole region, which ranked 4th in the Province of Agrigento (8.92%) and in the Province of Caltanissetta (8.27%), behind Banco di Sicilia (including Sicilcassa), BMPS, BCC G.Toniolo di San Cataldo (Caltanissetta only) and Sanpaolo (Agrigento only).
In 2000 the bank signed a bancassurance partnership with Cattolica Assicurazioni. The insurer also owned an equity interests in BP St.Angelo (0.42% in 2012). The current partner of the bank in bancassurance was Arca Vita, a subsidiary of Unipol. BP St.Angelo also sold an equity stake (1.1368%) of Arca Assicurazioni to Arca Vita in 2010.
In 2001 Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo sold the significant interests (44.86% stake) in Banca Regionale Sant'Angelo (ex-Nuova Banca del Monte Sant'Agata, which the group injected assets to the subsidiary on 1 January 2001. Branches increased from 5 to 56) to Credito Artigiano (a subsidiary of Credito Valtellinese). Banca Regionale Sant'Angelo also controlled Leasingroup Sicilia (69.315% stake). Banca Regionale Sant'Angelo and Leasingroup Sicilia became part of Credito Siciliano in 2002.
After many years of merger and acquisitions, BP St. Angelo and Banca Agricola Popolare di Ragusa were two of the few independent banks on the island (plus the member banks of Federazione Siciliana delle Banche di Credito Cooperativo). Sant'Angelo and Banca Agricola Ragusa did not have any overlap in the retail networks (except one branch of BP St. Angelo in Catania). The aforementioned competitors of the bank in 1999 became part of UniCredit, Intesa Sanpaolo, BMPS, Banco Popolare (as Banco Popolare Siciliano) as well as other competitors: Credito Valtellinese (as Credito Siciliano), Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, Credito Emiliano, Banca Popolare di Vicenza (as Banca Nuova) and Banca Carige.
The bank was a sponsor of Pallacanestro Trapani
- "Company Profile" (in Italian). Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "STATUTO SOCIALE" [Articles of association] (PDF) (in Italian). Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo. 2010. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "2014 Bilancio" (PDF) (in Italian). Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo. 4 May 2015. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "Scomparso Nicolò Curella, presidente di Banca Sant'Angelo". La Repubblica (in Italian). 20 August 2015. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "OFFERTA PUBBLICA DI ACQUISTO su azioni ordinarie Banca Regionale Sant'Angelo" (PDF). Credito Artigiano (in Italian). CONSOB archive. 11 May 2001. Retrieved 21 April 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Analyst Presentation: Acquisition of Mediocredito Centrale Group" (PDF). Banca di Roma. December 1999. Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 August 2003.
- "Provvedimento N°22: Banco di Sicilia / Sicilcassa" (PDF) (in Italian). Bank of Italy. 3 April 1998. p. 9. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "CATTOLICA: UN NUOVO ACCORDO DI BANCASSICURAZIONE IN SICILIA" (PDF) (in Italian). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 8 August 2000. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "Il Credito Artigiano - Gruppo Credito Valtellinese - e la Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo avviano lo sviluppo di una nuova realta' nel panorama bancario siciliano" (in Italian). Credito Valtellinese. 9 May 2000. Retrieved 21 April 2016.