Baizuo (//; Chinese: 白左 báizuǒ, literally White Left) is a derogatory Chinese neologism and political epithet used to refer to Western leftist ideologies primarily espoused by white people. The term baizuo is related to the term shèngmǔ (圣母, 聖母, literally "holy mother" or St Mary), a sarcastic reference to those whose political opinions are perceived as being guided by emotions or a hypocritical show of selflessness and empathy.
The term baizuo was apparently coined in a 2010 article published on Renren Network, entitled The Fake Morality of the Western White Left and the Chinese Patriotic Scientists (西方白左和中国爱国科学家的伪道德). No further use of the term is known until 2013, with only isolated use during 2013–2015.
Substantial use in Chinese Internet culture began in early 2016, at first at MIT BBS, a bulletin board system used by many Chinese in the U.S., during the 2016 United States presidential election. Baizuo was used there to criticize the policies of the Democratic Party with regard to minorities, perceived as treating Asians unfairly.
After the United States presidential election of 2016, the term came to be more widely used in reference to perceived double standards of Western media, such as potential bias in reporting about the Xinjiang conflict.
The term has recently grown as an insult on the English-speaking Web as well.
|Look up 白左 or 左膠 in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- "福克斯台给美国大众普及：中国人说的"白左"是什么意思…". Sina Video (in Chinese). 21 May 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-12-10.
- Qu, Qiuyan (21 May 2017). "Chinese derogatory social media term for 'white left' Western elites spreads". Global Times. Archived from the original on 2017-05-25.
- Zhang, Chenchen (11 May 2017). "The curious rise of the 'white left' as a Chinese internet insult". openDemocracy. Archived from the original on 10 June 2017.
- "这个词，让中国向西方逆向输出了一次价值观(组". iAsk.ca (in Chinese). 20 May 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-06-25. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- Fang, Kecheng (10 December 2017). "方可成："白左"污名化与社会达尔文主义". Red Song Society (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 2018-06-06. Retrieved 2019-02-02.
- Zhang, Yi (22 May 2017). "Chinese baizuo gibe a rebuttal to West's moral superiority". Global Times. Archived from the original on 2017-05-29. Retrieved 2018-01-06.