Bainbridge High School (Washington)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Bainbridge High School|
9330 NE High School Rd
|Type||Comprehensive Public High School|
|School district||Bainbridge Island School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Peter Bang-Knudsen|
|Athletics conference||Metro League|
|Newspaper||The Spartan Standard|
|Yearbook||Shift (AEGIS 2015–16)|
|Mission statement||to inspire all members of our school community to value learning, think critically and creatively, practice integrity, and act as compassionate citizens.|
Many class course elective opportunities outside of the normal high school course range are available at Bainbridge High School. Some of these courses include:
- Honors English, Honors American Studies, Honors Geometry, Honors Algebra II, Honors Pre-Calc, Honors Humanities
- French (Levels I–III; Advanced)
- Spanish (Levels I-III; Advanced; AP)
Advanced Placement CoursesEdit
Bainbridge High School athletes, known as the Spartans, participate in the following sports throughout the school year:
- Cross country
- Marching band
- Track and field
In addition, the following club sports are available to BHS students:
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Water polo
- The 2006-2007 Bainbridge High School boys varsity basketball team was ranked first in the state 3A division, won the metro league regular season title, was the KingCo district tournament champion, and second-place finisher in the state 3A tournament, placing six players on post-season all-league teams.
- The Bainbridge High School girls lacrosse team from 1991 to 2009 has been in sixteen Championship games, winning eleven. And from 1994 to 2000 they won seven in a row. Most recently winning the 2007 High School Division 1 Lacrosse Championship
- In 2009, Varsity Baseball 3A came second in state at Safeco Field.
- The Varsity Fastpitch team won the 2009 Washington 3A State Championship, beating Holy Names Academy 6-2. The team is currently ranked 2nd in State (2010).
- In 2009, the girls 1600 meter relay team set the all-time West Sound record of 3:57.88 while finishing third in the 3A WIAA State Track & Field Championships. They finished first in the same event in 2004 and second in 2005 and 2008.
- In 2010 The Marching band took 3rd place in state for parade and 1st place for music.
- The Bainbridge High School boys soccer team won the 2011 3A Metro division 1-0 over Lakeside.
- The Bainbridge High School boys soccer team placed 2nd in the 2011 Washington State 3A state playoffs falling 3-0 to Camas (who moved into the 4A division the following season).
- The Bainbridge High School girls lacrosse team won the 2011 Washington State Division 1 lacrosse championship, beating Lakeside School 16-8.
- The Bainbridge High School boys soccer team won the 2012 Washington State 3A state playoffs, defeating Mercer Island 3-2.
- The Bainbridge High School girls Junior Varsity soccer team won the 2012 Metro League.
- The Bainbridge High School girls lacrosse team won the 2012 Washington State Division 1 lacrosse championship.
- The Bainbridge High School boys soccer team placed 3rd in the 2013 Washington State 3A state playoffs, defeating Hanford 3-2 in the 3rd-4th place game.
- The 2013 Boys Crew took 2nd place in the Lightweight 4 event at the Junior Nationals in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- The 2016-2017 Boys Swim took 1st place in the Metro League, 2nd place at Districts, and 1st at the state championship.
- 2016-2017 Boys Swimming 3A State Champions
- 2017-2018 Boys Swimming 3A State Champions
- 2018-2019 Boys Swimming 3A State Champions, led by senior Garrett Waite
- BHS has about 1,375 students, 46% of whom in 2010 were Washington Honors Award winners in the top 10% of the nation.
- The class of 2010 had 78% of their students go to a 4-year college and 10% to a 2-year college.
- The graduation rate is approximately 93%.
- John D. Hawk — Medal of Honor recipient
- Laura Allen — actress (All My Children, The 4400, Mona Lisa Smile, Dirt)
- Chris Benz — designer
- Chris Kattan — actor (Saturday Night Live, A Night at the Roxbury, The Middle, Undercover Brother)
- Emily Silver — 2008 Olympic silver medalist in the 4×100 freestyle relay
- Marcel Vigneron — chef (Top Chef (season 2) runner-up)
- John Wicks — drummer (Fitz and The Tantrums, Cee Lo Green, Bruno Mars, Money Mark)
- Dove Cameron (non-graduate) — actress (Liv and Maddie, The Mentalist, Cloud 9)
- Ben Shepherd — bassist (Soundgarden)
- Kiel Reijnen — professional cyclist in the World Tour (riding for Trek–Segafredo)
- Tori Black (born Michelle Chapman) — award-winning pornographic actress
- Steven Gray — professional European basketball player
- Andrew Wood — lead singer of the band Mother Love Bone
- "Administration". Bainbridge Island School District. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "Bainbridge High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "School Profile / Home". Bainbridge Island School District. Archived from the original on 2018-10-31. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "BHS Registration 2016–17". Bainbridge Island School District. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-05-23. Retrieved 2010-03-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Before grunge, there was Andrew Wood". Bainbridge Island Review. Archived from the original on 29 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2016.