Bain Capital Ventures
Bain Capital Ventures LLC is the venture capital division within Bain Capital, which has approximately $105 billion of assets under management worldwide. The firm's early-stage investments have included Staples, LinkedIn, Kiva Systems, Jet.com and Shopping.com. Bain Capital Ventures manages $5.1 billion of committed capital, has over 70 active portfolio companies, and has offices in Boston, New York City, Palo Alto, and San Francisco.
|Type||Limited liability company|
|Industry||Financial services, Investment management|
|Headquarters||Boston, Massachusetts, New York, New York, San Francisco, California, Palo Alto, California|
|Managing Directors: Ajay Agarwal, Yumin Choi, Scott Friend, Matt Harris, Michael Krupka, Enrique Salem|
Number of employees
Bain Capital Ventures has raised slightly over $4.9 billion of investor capital since 2001 across eight core investment funds and two co-investment funds. The firm is currently investing its eighth fund, Bain Capital Venture Fund 2019, which raised $650 million from investors. The following is a summary of Bain's private equity funds raised from its inception through the beginning of 2012:
|Fund||Vintage Year||Committed Capital ($m)|
|Bain Capital Venture Fund||2001||$250|
|Bain Capital Venture Partners 2005||2005||$250|
|Bain Capital Venture Partners 2007||2007||$500|
|Bain Capital Venture Partners 2009||2009||$525|
|Bain Capital Venture Partners 2012||2012||$660|
|Bain Capital Venture Partners 2014||2014||$650, $200|
Some of the company's notable investments have included: Ameritox, Apparent Networks, AppAssure Software, blip.tv, Booker Software, Fingerhut, INRIX, Kiva Systems, LinkedIn, The Princeton Review, Rave Wireless, Skyhook Wireless, Stackdriver, SurveyMonkey, TheFind, Thumbplay, Tokbox, VMTurbo, Vonage, and ZeroTurnaround.
In November 2018, Bain Capital Ventures announced it had raised $1 billion to be spread between two funds.
- Data collected from Preqin, a private equity database system
- Shieber, Jonathan. "Bain Capital Ventures Raises $850 Million In Two New Funds". TechCrunch. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Apparent Networks Obtains Expansion Capital Investment From Leading Venture Firms
- Roslyn, Darah. "Booker Raises $27.5 Million Led by Bain Capital Ventures." Press release. The Wall Street Journal. April 16, 2013
- LinkedIn Closes Its Round; Got That Billion Dollar Valuation
- "Rave Wireless Raises $7 Million For Mobile Safety Services". Archived from the original on 2010-12-29. Retrieved 2012-01-10.
- Skyhook Wireless Secures $8.5 million of New Financing to Fuel Global Expansion
- Skyhook Wireless Closes $6.5 Million In Venture And Corporate Funding Round
- VMware vets launch Stackdriver, raise $5M from Bain Capital Ventures
- SurveyMonkey Announces Group Led by Spectrum Equity to Become Majority Investor
- Video Chat Service TokBox Raises $10 Million From Bain
- VMTurbo grabs $10M from Bain, Highland to expand cloud virtualization solutions