Badruddin Shaikh (13 September 1952 – 26 April 2020) was an Indian politician and a member of the Indian National Congress. He was the Leader of Opposition in the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation from 2010 to 2020.
|Leader of Opposition in Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation|
|Born||13 September 1952|
|Died||26 April 2020 (aged 67)|
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
|Cause of death||COVID-19|
|Resting place||Ganj Shahid Kabrastan, Danilimda, Ahmedabad|
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Shaikh graduated from Bhakt Vallabh Dhoda College in Ahmedabad and did his post-graduation from H. K. Arts College and had studied law from L.A. Shah Law College. He practised as a lawyer before joining politics.
Shaikh started his political career in 1979 as a Senate Member of Gujarat University. He served as the General Secretary of National Students' Union of India (1984–1986) and General Secretary of the Gujarat Pradesh Youth Congress (1985-1990). Later he was a Syndicate Member of Gujarat University (1990–1993). He was a Chairman of Minority Cell of the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (1992–1995) and Vice Chairman of Minority Cell of party (2020). He was appointed the Vice President of Khawaja Saheb Dargah Committee, Ajmer Sharif Dargah by the Ministry of Minority Affairs of India.
He was elected as the Municipal Councillor in the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation in 1995 and subsequently served four terms (1995–2000, 2000–2005, 2010–2015, 2015–2020) from Behrampura ward. During this period, he was a Chairman of the Standing Committee (2000–2003) as well as a member of Standing Committee, Town Planning Committee, Legal Committee and V. S. Hospital Management Board. He had served as the party spokesperson as well. He was the Leader of Opposition in the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation from 2010 to his death in 2020.
He died on 26 April 2020 from COVID-19 during the COVID-19 pandemic. He was buried two days later at Ganj Shahid Kabrastan in Danilimda, Ahmedabad. His wife Farida Khatun had also contracted COVID-19.
- "અમદાવાદ કોંગ્રેસના કોર્પોરેટર બદરુદ્દીન શેખનું SVPમાં કોરોનાથી નિધન". vyaapaarsamachar (in Gujarati). Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- Patel, Lakshmi (27 April 2020). "Covid-19 claims life of Badruddin Shaikh". Ahmedabad Mirror. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "Gujarat: Senior Congress leader Badruddin Shaikh dies of coronavirus". Times Now News. 27 April 2020. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "અખિલ ભારતિય કોંગ્રેસના માઈનોરિટી ડિપાર્ટમેન્ટમા વાઇસ ચેરમેન તરીકે બદરુદ્દીન શેખની નિમણુંક". Western Times News (in Gujarati). 13 March 2020. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "Cong corporator laid to rest in Ahmedabad". The Indian Express. 28 April 2020. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "AMC corporator Badruddin Shaikh resigns as GPCC spokesperson". The Indian Express. 6 October 2019. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "Bypolls: Dissent in Gujarat Congress". DNA India. 6 October 2019. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "Gujarat Congress leader Badruddin Shaikh resigns from all party posts". Zee News. 5 October 2019. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "Asit Vora unanimously elected new city mayor - Indian Express". Indian Express. 1 November 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "Senior Congress leader Badruddin Shaikh given a silent send off". The Times of India. 28 April 2020. Retrieved 13 May 2020.