Back to Mystery City is the fourth studio album by the Finnish rock band Hanoi Rocks, released in 1983. It was produced by ex-Mott the Hoople members Dale Griffin and Pete "Overend" Watts, and was the first with Razzle on drums. Besides Hanoi Rocks, the album also features keyboardist Morgan Fisher, and Miriam Stockley on backing vocals, who had also sung with Pink Floyd.
|Back to Mystery City|
|Studio album by|
|Label||Johanna Kustannus, Lick Records, Nippon Phonogram|
|Producer||Dale "Buffin" Griffin and Pete "Overend" Watts|
|Hanoi Rocks chronology|
|Singles from Back to Mystery City|
This section possibly contains original research. (September 2012)
- "Strange Boys Play Weird Openings"
An acoustic intro that Andy McCoy came-up with in the studio.
- "Malibu Beach Nightmare"
McCoy wrote song at home while smoking hashish. The song was originally recorded in 1981 as a calypso version titled "Malibu Nightmare". This version was just made as a joke but it was re-recorded for this album, as a more serious rock song. The song was also released as a single.
- "Mental Beat"
- "Tooting Bec Wreck"
- "Until I Get You"
Andy McCoy wrote this song at the band's manager Seppo Vesterinen's house in Helsinki. McCoy hated the song but Razzle loved it, and wanted it on their next record. Ultimately, McCoy also fell in love with the song. The song is also a great example of Hanoi Rocks' melodic glam rock-style. Also, the arrangement for the song was inspired by Alice Cooper's "I'm Eighteen". L.A. Guns covered the song on their 2004 album Rips the Covers Off.
- "Sailing Down the Tears"
Written in 10 minutes, but the band still loved the song. The song was written as a mid-tempo, standard 70's rock-, pop-song.
- "Lick Summer Love"
This song sparked some controversy when it was released. McCoy wrote the song when he was 17 years old. The song deals with making love and having oral sex with his girlfriend. Monroe has since said that he thinks the song is an "awful slime-ball", and that he hated the lyrics.
- "Beating Gets Faster"
A love-song written by Monroe and McCoy.
- "Ice Cream Summer"
A song dealing with a summer romance.
- "Back to Mystery City"
At the time of its release, the song was very popular, but it has since been overshadowed by the many other Hanoi Rocks' hits. Andy McCoy wrote the song about Hanoi Rocks' adventures in the Far-East, the band's fans and the buzz that was also surrounding the band in 1983. The song is also composed in the same style as Tommy James and the Shondells' song "Mony Mony". The song's title was inspired by the London club Mystery City.
In a contemporary review for The Village Voice, music critic Robert Christgau said that Monroe and McCoy lack hooks, are backed by "cute if over-calculated" dual guitar playing, and "yowl English-language lyrics that must impress Finns more than native speakers like myself."
|1.||"Strange Boys Play Weird Openings"||Andy McCoy||0:42|
|2.||"Malibu Beach Nightmare"||Andy McCoy||2:46|
|3.||"Mental Beat"||Andy McCoy||5:04|
|4.||"Tooting Bec Wreck"||Andy McCoy||6:11|
|5.||"Until I Get You"||Andy McCoy||4:37|
|6.||"Sailing Down the Tears"||Andy McCoy||4:09|
|7.||"Lick Summer Love"||Andy McCoy||4:21|
|8.||"Beating Gets Faster"||Andy McCoy, Michael Monroe||3:51|
|9.||"Ice Cream Summer"||Andy McCoy||5:11|
|10.||"Back to Mystery City"||Andy McCoy||5:02|
|11.||"Rebel on the Run"||Andy McCoy||2:48|
|11.||"Malibu Beach Nightmare (Calypso)"||Andy McCoy||2:05|
|12.||"Back to Mystery City" (demo)||Andy McCoy||4:57|
|13.||"Until I Get You" (demo)||Andy McCoy||3:53|
|14.||"Ice Cream Summer" (demo)||Andy McCoy||4:22|
- Hanoi Rocks
- Michael Monroe – lead vocals, saxophone, harmonica
- Andy McCoy – lead guitar
- Nasty Suicide – rhythm guitar
- Sam Yaffa – bass
- Razzle – drums
- Additional personnel
- Producers: Dale Griffin and Pete "Overend" Watts
- Engineer: Andy Lyden
- Arrangers: Michael Monroe and Andy McCoy
- Cover photo: Fin Costello
- Layout: Hilary Goodwright
- Digitally remastered: Mika Jussila
- Reissue sleeve and booklet: Jari Mattila
|1983||UK Albums Chart||87|
|1983||Japanese Albums Chart||64|
|1983||Finnish Albums Chart||6|
|1983||"Malibu Beach Nightmare"|
|Finnish Singles Chart||8|
|1983||"Until I Get You"|
|Finnish Singles Chart||20|
- Hotten, Jon (8 June 2021). "10 glam metal albums you should definitely own". Classic Rock. Retrieved 27 September 2021.
- Raggett, Ned. "Back to the Mystery City – Hanoi Rocks | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Dickson, Dave (19 May 1983). "Hanoi Rocks 'Back to Mystery City'". Kerrang!. Vol. 42. London, UK: Spotlight Publications Ltd. p. 40.
- Christgau, Robert (12 June 1984). "Christgau's Consumer Guide: Turkey Shoot". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- Best of Rock & Metal - Die 500 stärksten Scheiben aller Zeiten (in German). Rock Hard. 2005. p. 95. ISBN 3-89880-517-4.
- "1001 Albums You Must Hear – 2008 Edition". www.rocklistmusic.co.uk.
- "Back to Mystery City The Official Charts Company". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Hanoi Rocks Chart Positions in Japan". Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- Timo (2015). "Suomen vanhat albumilistat: 1983".
- Timo (2015). "Suomen vanhat singlelistat: 1983".