Babul Supriyo (born 15 December 1970) is an Indian playback singer, live performer, television host, actor and politician who currently serves as Cabinet Minister of Information Technology and Electronics and Tourism of the Government of West Bengal. He was elected Member of Parliament from Asansol in the 16th and 17th Lok Sabha and also served as the Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, in the Union Council of Ministers. He officially resigned as MP on 19 October 2021. and was elected as a Member of the West Bengal Legislative Assembly on 16 April 2022 from Ballygunge Assembly seat.
He made a career as playback singer in Hindi cinema in the mid-nineties and has sung for many films since then. He primarily sings in Hindi, Bengali, and Odia languages. However, he has also done playback singing in 11 other languages during his musical career. He entered politics in 2014 and joined Narendra Modi's government. He previously served as Union Minister of State for Ministry of Urban Development, Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
Supriyo was born and brought up in Uttarpara, a suburb town of Kolkata on the banks of the Hooghly River in West Bengal. His parents are Sunil Chandra Baral and Sumitra Baral. Babul comes from a musical family and was greatly influenced by his grandfather, Banikantha NC Baral, a Bengali vocalist and composer. He won several inter-school and inter-college music compositions, and had performed in All India Radio and Doordarshan. He attended Don Bosco School during which he became an "All India Don Bosco Music Champion" in 1983, and "The Most Enriching Talent" in 1985. He completed his bachelor's degree in commerce from Serampore College in 1991.
Supriyo was introduced to Riaa at a Shah Rukh Khan concert in Toronto. They married each other in 1995. His first child Sharmilee was born in 1996. Supriyo and Riaa divorced in October 2015. He remarried on 9 August 2016 to Rachna Sharma, an air hostess of Jet Airways.
An ardent admirer of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Narendra Modi, Supriyo was introduced to Bharatiya Janata Party in March 2014. In 2014 Indian general election, he was nominated by the party as their candidate for Asansol, West Bengal and won it by defeating Dola Sen. He was inducted to Narendra Modi's government as the Union Minister of State, Ministry of Urban Development; and Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation on 9 November 2014. He became the youngest minister. He served in these ministries till 12 July 2016, after which his portfolio was changed to Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
In the 2019 Indian general election, Supriyo again won from the Asansol as a Bharatiya Janata Party candidate defeating Moon Moon Sen by 1.97 lakh votes, and securing a total of 6.32 lakh votes. In May 2019, he became Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
|2019||Asansol||Bharatiya Janata Party||6,33,378||51.16||14.41|
On 13 August 2019, Supriyo Babul, accused the state government of not giving food for the cyclone affected people in Fazarganj for 5 days.
In the 2021 West Bengal Legislative Assembly election, Babul Supriyo ran from Tollyganj (Vidhan Sabha constituency) as the Bharatiya Janata Party candidate and lost by more than 50,000 votes. Probably stung by an unexpected defeat, Supriyo stated that Bengal had made a 'historic mistake' by voting for TMC. However the Facebook post was later deleted.
On 31 July 2021, Babul Supriyo announced on social media his decision to quit politics and also resign as a Lok Sabha MP. However days later he decided to complete his tenure as MP. He then edited his Facebook post deleting the "won't join any party" remark raising speculations. On 18 September 2021 he joined All India Trinamool Congress in presence of Abhishek Banerjee.
After a brief work at the Standard Chartered Bank, Supriyo chose singing as a full-time career. He moved to Mumbai in 1992 to make a career in Bollywood. Kalyanji gave him a break, and took him to perform abroad at their live shows. In 1993 he toured Canada and USA with Amitabh Bachchan. He also toured US with Asha Bhonsle in 1997 and 1999. Besides playback singing, he has also done several stage shows. Babul Supriyo performed at Powai Sarvajanin Durgotsav in 2011.
His breakthrough came with "Dil Ne Dil Ko Pukara" in Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai in 2000, the debut film of Hrithik Roshan. Some of his other popular Bollywood songs are "Pari Pari Hai Ek Pari" (Hungama), "Hum Tum" (Hum Tum) and "Chanda Chamke" (Fanaa). He is the anchor of the hit television show K for Kishore. He sang the opening themes of Balaji Telefilms serials.
- Monoroma Tilottama (1997)
- Hoyto Tomari Jannya (1999)
- Sochta Hun (2003)
- Kuch Aisa Lagta Hai
- Untitled - Babul Supriyo (2008)
- Kotobaaro Bhebechhinu (Rabindra Sangeet) (2009) - Asha Audio
- Jodi Jantem (Rabindra Sangeet) (2010) - Asha Audio
- Babul Baul (2014)
- Mone Robe (2011, Rabindra Sangeet album comprising 10 songs sung by Babul Supriyo & Alka Yagnik)
- Just Tomake
- What The Folk
- Suna Pharua (2016, Odia)
As a playback singerEdit
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|1994||Ekka Raja Rani||Dil Ko Zara Sa||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Prem Yog||Zindagi Char Din Ki||Bappi Lahiri|
|Kranti Kshetra||Malan Thara Baag Mein
|1995||Gaddaar||Baraste Paani Ka Maza||Nadeem-Shravan||Uncredited|
|1996||Agni Sakshi||O Piya O Piya||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Shastra||Kuch Hua Re Hua Re||Aadesh Shrivastava|
|Jung||Kya Dekh Raha Hai||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi||Aaj Meri Zindagi||Anu Malik|
|Himmatvar||Kitni Chahat Chhupaye Baitha Hoon||Nadeem-Shravan|
|1997||Saat Rang Ke Sapne||Aati Hai To Chal
Dilon Ka Haal
Ba Ba Batao Na
|Naseeb||Tumhi Ne Meri Zindagi||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Aar Ya Paar||Jo Hoga Hone Do||Viju Shah|
|Jeevan Yudh||Sun Sajana Tere Bin||Nadeem-Shravan|
|1998||Doli Saja Ke Rakhna||Taram Pam||A.R.Rahman|
|1999||Hello Brother||Hata Saawan Ki Ghata||Sajid–Wajid|
|2000||Bechainee||Tumse Nahin Koi Pyaara Sanam||Charles Srinivasan|
|Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai||Dil Ne Dil Ko Pukara||Rajesh Roshan|
|Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke||Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke
Do Lafzo Mein
Hai Deewane Yeh Ishq Mera
Yeh Sama Yeh Nazare
Koi Taza Hawa
Ek Haseen Ladki
|Tera Jadoo Chal Gayaa||Chori Chori Chupke Chupke||Ismail Darbar|
Man Tera Mera Man
|Kaali Ki Saugandh||Raees|
|2001||Chori Chori Chupke Chupke||Chori Chori Chupke Chupke||Anu Malik|
|Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai||Maine Koi Jadoo
Jabse Dekha Hai
|Yeh Teraa Ghar Yeh Meraa Ghar||Govinda||Anand–Milind|
|Kasautii Zindagii Kay||Kasautii Zindagii Kay||TV series|
|Aamdani Atthanni Kharcha Rupaiya||Style Nasha Tera
|Boond||Goriya Re Goriya Re||Rajendara-Liyaqat|
|Albela||Hai Mera Dil Tu
Sarse Sarak Gayee
|Ittefaq||Main Aashiq Hoon||Dilip Sen-Sameer Sen|
|Dial 100||Sunil Jha & Raja Sen|
|2002||Dil Vil Pyar Vyar||Yeh Jo Mohabbat Hai
Ab Ke Saawan Mein
Kehna Hai (Solo)
|Jeena Sirf Merre Liye||Jeena Sirf Merre Liye
|Kaaboo||Aey Babu||Anchal Talesara|
|Company||Pyar Pyar Mein||Sandeep Chowta|
|Yeh Kya Ho Raha Hai?||Aarzoo||Shankar–Ehsaan–Loy|
|Kya Yehi Pyaar Hai||Meri Tarah Tum Bhi||Sajid–Wajid|
|Gunaah||Hamne Tumko Dil Ye De Diya
Jab Dil Churaya
|Anand Raj Anand|
|Deewangee||Dholi O Dholi||Ismail Darbar|
|Santana||Phaguna re Phaguna||Malay Mishra||Mohammad Mohsin|
|2003||Dil Ka Rishta||Dil Ka Rishta (Sad)||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Hungama||Pari Pari Hai Ek Pari||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Chori Chori||Aate Aate||Sajid–Wajid|
|Out of Control||Tera Chandsa Yeh Chehera
Kudhi Vi Soni
Tu Mera Hai Sanam
|Anand Raj Anand|
|Kucch To Hai||Hai Rey||Anu Malik|
|Leena On The Chhuk Chhuk Mix||Leena O Leena
Tum Aa Gaye Ho
Chhookar Mere Mann Ko
Meri Pyaari Behniya
|Harry Anand||Remix video which had TV actor Eijaz Khan in his first few roles|
|DJ Hot Remix||Kehdoon Tumhain||Harry Anand||Remix video which had TV actor Eijaz Khan in his first few roles|
|Escape from Taliban||Rimil Baba||Babul Bose|
|Ek Aur Ek Gyarah||Yeh Mann Mera Bada Hi Chaliyan||Shankar–Ehsaan–Loy|
|Andaaz||Aayega Maza Ab Barsaat Ka||Nadeem-Shravan|
|Zameen||Bas Ek Baar||Himesh Reshammiya|
|Wrong Number||Kabhi Jabhi Koi Chehra||Daboo Malik|
|2004||Plan||Aane Wala Pal||Anand Raj Anand|
|Hum Tum||Hum Tum||Jatin–Lalit|
|DJ Hot Remix Vol.2 & The Return Of Kaanta Mix||Tere Jaisa Yaar Kahaan
Yeh Kaali Kaali Aankain
Vaada Karo Nahi Chhodogi Tum Meraa Saath
Khizaan Ke Phool Pe
Leena O Leena
|Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Naam Gum Jaayegaa||Tera Palkein Jo Uthin||Anand–Milind|
|Suno Sasurjee||Saason Se Saasein||Sanjeev Darshan|
|Sweet Honey Mix||Pardesiya||Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Miss Spicy Mix||Pardesiya
Aaj Rapat Jaayn
|Harry Anand||Remix album featuring Rakhi Sawant in one of her first few roles|
|Baby Love – Ek Pardesi Mera Dil Le Gaya||Lekar Hum Deewanaa Dil
Yeh Raat Bheegi Bheegi
|DJ Aqeel – Disco 82||Disco 82||DJ Aqeel||Remix album|
|Play Gal Mix||Mere Piya Gaye Rangoon (Version 2)||Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Rok Sako To Rok Lo||Haan Mujhe Thaam Le
Rok Sako To Rok Lo
|2005||Vaada||Main Ishq Uska||Himesh Reshammiya|
|DJ Hot Remix Vol 3||Aray Yaar||Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Chaahat – Ek Nasha||Dil Ki Baat||Anand Raj Anand|
|Chehraa||Kabhi Khamosh Baithogi||Anu Malik|
|Zameer||Dil Ke Badle Dil To
Tere Pyar Ne Deewana
Zindagi Ke Faisle Mein
|DJ Hot Remix Vol 4||Pardesiya
Khizzaan Ke Phool Pe
|Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya||Teri Meri Love Story||Himesh Reshammiya|
|71/2 Phere||Tera Saath Hai Kitna Pyare||Shantanu Moitra|
|Bombay Vikings – Zara Nazron Se Kahdo||Kehdoon Tumhain
Khizzaan Ke Phool Pe
Leena O Leena
|Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Sanober & The Masti Express||Pardesiya||Harry Anand||Remix album|
|Vivah||Hamari Shaadi Mein||Ravindra Jain|
|Mantra Shakti||Jackson & Shakeer|
|2007||Laaga Chunari Mein Daag||Zara Gungunalein Chalo||Shantanu Moitra|
|2010||Sanam Hum Aapke Hain...||Dil Ne Jo Bhi Kaha Maine Manna||Manoj – Vijay|
|2018||Laila Majnu||Sarphira||Niladri Kumar|
|2001||Jamaibabu Jindabad||"Jamaibabu Jindabad"||Babul Bose||Priya Bhattacharya|
|"Sneher Chayay Bhalobasay"|
|Pratibad||"Aasbe Ghare Khokon Sona"||Sadhana Sargam|
|"Koli Kale Ghore Koli Haar"||Arshad, Priya Bhattacharya|
|Bachao||"Aar To Kodin Pore"||Emon Saha|
|"Amar Ekdike Prithibi"|
|Barkane||"Ki Name Dakbo Tomake"|
|Annadata||"Hate Chabi Niye Bose"|
|"Amader Katha Sudhu Mane Rekho"||Sadhana Sargam, Deepa Narayan|
|Kurukshetra||"Kokhono Megh Kokhono Rodh"||Ashok Bhadra|
|2003||Champion||"Kobe Je Amar Naam"||S. P. Venkatesh|
|"Kere Nili" (Happy)||Mano|
|Guru||"Takei Bale Bhalobasa"||Sadhna Sargam||Babul Bose|
|2004||Dadu No. 1||"Oi Chokhete Misti Hasi"||Malay Ganguly||Shreya Ghoshal|
|"Ae Bhai Re Are Bol Na Re"||Udit Narayan|
|"Aj Aei Shubhodine"||Shreya Ghoshal, Udit Narayan|
|2005||Swapno||"Muche Jaowa Dinguli"||Hemanta Mukherjee, Madhu Mukherjee|
|"O Akash Sona Sona"||Shaan|
|Yuddho||"Tomar O Chokhete"||Jeet Gannguli||Sadhana Sargam|
|"Sure Sure Aaj O Mon"||Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal, Jeet Gannguli, Sadhana Sargam|
|Manik||"Subho Janmodin"||Babul Bose|
|"Tomake Peye Chena Prithibi"||Shreya Ghoshal|
|"Ke Dekheche Age"|
|"Kauke Bhalo Laage"||Shreya Ghoshal, Priya Bhattacharya|
|2006||Kranti||"Prithibi Bodle Geche"||Jeet Gannguli||Shreya Ghoshal|
|Hero||"Aaha Mori Sundori"||Sabeha|
|2007||I Love You||"Ekta Kotha Bolbo"||Shreya Ghoshal|
|"Dhure oi Pahar Miseche"||Shreya Ghoshal, Sweta|
|2009||Antaheen||"Alo Alo Rong Jomkalo Chand" (Pherari Mon)||Shantanu Moitra||Shreya Ghoshal|
|Premer Kahini||"Aaj Swopno Sukher"||Jeet Gannguli||Mahalaxmi Iyer|
|"Sangsar Sukhi Hoy Romonir"||Shreya Ghoshal|
|2010||Ogo Bodhu Sundori||"Ei To Jibon Jak Na Jedike"|
|Bolo Na Tumi Aamar||"Hate You"||Yuvan Shankar Raja, Jeet Gannguli (Arranger)||Monali Thakur|
|2015||Coke Studio@MTV Season 4 Album||I Wanna Fly||Anupam Roy||Sharmilee Supriyo|
|2015||Coke Studio@MTV Season 4 Album||Moner Manush||Lalon Fakir, Anupam Roy||Satyaki Banerjee, Anupam Roy|
|2016||Jodi Jantem Album||Jodi Jantem||Durbadal Chatterjee|
|2016||Kotobaro Bhebechinu Album||Kotobaro Bhebechinu||Violin Brothers|
|2016||Mone Robe Album||Mone Robe||Atanu Sen||Alka Yagnik|
|2017||Bengali Puja Song||Aaye Phirey Aaye||Jeet Gannguli|
|2018||Kishore Kumar Junior||Sedino Akashe Chilo Kato Tara||Indraadip Dasgupta|
|2019||BJP Theme Song||Ei Trinamool R Na|
|2019||Gotro||Mashima Hitler||Anindya Chatterjee|
|2019||Gumnaami||Subh Sukh Chain||Ram Singh Thakuri|
|2002||Ninagoskara||Prema Lokadinda"||L. N. Shastri||K. Kalyan||Mahalakshmi Iyer|
|2002||Santana||Phaguna Re Phaguna||Mohammad Mohsin|
|2006||Rakhi Bandhili Mo Rakhiba Mana||Malay Misra|
|2007||To Bina Mo Kahani Adha||Kholide Tora Gabhaa||Santiraj Khosla|
|Sabuthu Alagaa Aama Prema|
|2011||Balunga Toka||Abhijit Mazumdar|
|2013||Paribeni Kehi Alaga Kari|
|2018||Patil||"Dhin Tak Dhin"||Anand–Milind||Sameer||Shreya Ghoshal|
Awards and honoursEdit
- 2002: Honorary citizenship by the State Council of Atlanta.
- 2002: Bengal Film Journalists' Association Awards: Best Male Playback for Tak Jhal Mishti
- 2003: Kalakar Awards – Best Playback Singer for Kasautii Zindagii Kay
- 2004: Kalakar Awards – Best Playback Singer for Mayer Anchal
- 2006: Bengal Film Journalists' Association – Best Male Playback Award for Subho Drishti.
- 2007: Zee Gold Awards – Best Playback Singer for Kasautii Zindagii Kay
- 2016: Walked at Grande finale show of Indian Federation for Fashion Development's India Runway Week season 6 for designer Agnimitra Paul
- "2 months after he was dropped at Centre, BJP MP Babul Supriyo joins TMC". Atri Mitra , Liz Mathew. The Indian Express. 19 September 2021. Retrieved 19 September 2021.
- "Sixteenth Lok Sabha Members Bioprofile: Baral,Shri Babul Supriya (Babul Supriyo)". Lok Sabha Secretariat. Archived from the original on 22 July 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Babul Supriya (Babul Supriyo) Baral". National Portal of India. Archived from the original on 22 February 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "babul supriyo formally resigns as MP - The Hindu". Archived from the original on 19 October 2021.
- "bjp: BJP draws a blank in 5 bypolls across 4 states | India News - Times of India". The Times of India. TNN. 17 April 2022. Retrieved 17 April 2022.
- "Babul Supriyo, Till Recently A Union Minister, Joins Team Mamata". NDTV.com. Retrieved 19 September 2021.
- "From now on I will be known as a minister's mother: Babul Supriyo's mother". dna. Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. 9 November 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Babul Supriyo: Small-Town Boy, Banker, Playback Singer and Now Minister". NDTV. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Minister of State for Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation". Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation. Archived from the original on 22 February 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Babul Supriyo: From Singer To BJP Poster Boy To Mamata Banerjee's Minister". NDTV.com. Retrieved 19 October 2022.
- "BABUL SUPRIYA BARAL (BABUL SUPRIYO) : Election profile". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 October 2022.
- "News headlines". Daijiworld. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Dasgupta, Priyanka (1 June 2006). "Split wide open". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Narendra Modi attends Babul Supriyo Racha Sharma Marriage". India Today. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- Layak, Suman. "200 days of Modi govt: First-time BJP MP Babul Supriyo may be PM's point person for West Bengal". The Economic Times. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Singer Babul Supriyo is BJP Candidate from Asansol for Lok Sabha Polls". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. 8 March 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Najma Heptulla, G M Siddeshwara resign from Modi Cabinet", India Today, 12 July 2016
- Mohan, Archis (13 July 2016), "Why Najma Heptulla, G M Siddeswara were forced to quit Modi Cabinet", Business Standard
- PTI (23 May 2019). "Asansol election result: Babul Supriyo plays the right notes, defeats Moon Moon Sen". The Economic Times. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Asansol Election Result 2019: BJP's Babul Supriyo wins against TMC's Moon Moon Sen". Business Today. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "PM Modi allocates portfolios. Full list of new ministers", Live Mint, 31 May 2019
- "Held up for hours, Babul Supriyo leaves Jadavpur University with Bengal governor". Times of India. 19 September 2019.
- Banerjee, Jitsoma (20 September 2019). "Unrest At Jadavpur University After Students Clash With Babul Supriyo". The Wire. Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- "বাইকে চড়ে দুর্গত এলাকায় বাবুল, ৫ দিন ধরে খাবার না দেওয়ার অভিযোগ যাচ্ছে মোদীর অফিসে". Anandabazar Patrika. 13 November 2019.
- ""Voted For Cruel Lady": BJP's Babul Supriyo On Trinamool's Big Bengal Win", ndtv, 2 May 2021
- "The Hindustan Times". Archived from the original on 2 May 2021.
- "Ex-Minister and BJP MP Babul Supriyo announces decision to quit politics", The Hindu, 31 July 2021
- "The live mint- will continue as MP". Archived from the original on 19 August 2021.
- "The Hindustan Times". Archived from the original on 3 August 2021.
- "Babul Supriyo: Meteoric rise for a small town boy". The News Minute. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- Ashok Chatterjee (28 November 2002). "The rise and rise of Babul Supriyo". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 November 2007.
- "Straight Answers". The Times of India. 18 March 2002. Retrieved 14 November 2007.
- "Babul Supriyo: Artist, Singer". iMusti,com. Archived from the original on 25 June 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "69th & 70th Annual Hero Honda BFJA Awards 2007". bfjaawards.com. Archived from the original on 23 December 2007. Retrieved 8 July 2015.