Babu Bangaram (English : The Boy is Gold) is a 2016 Indian Telugu action comedy film produced by S. Naga Vamshi, P. D. V. Prasad on Sitara Entertainments banner and directed by Maruthi. Starring Venkatesh, Nayanthara in the lead roles and music composed by Ghibran.
|Produced by||S. Naga Vamsi|
P. D. V. Prasad
S. Radha Krishna
|Written by||Darling Swamy (dialogues)|
|Edited by||S. B. Uddav|
|Distributed by||Haarika & Hassine Creations|
|Budget||₹28 crore (US$4.1 million)|
|Box office||₹46.2 crore (US$6.7 million)|
Babu Bangaram obtained a U/A from the censor board. The film had a worldwide release on 12 August 2016 amid much fanfare. The film was simultaneously released with a Tamil dubbed version titled Selvi.
ACP Krishna (Venkatesh) is a kindhearted man who has a lot of empathy even towards criminals. Sailaja (Nayanthara) is the daughter of an accused person named Sastry (Jayaprakash) for a murder, wanted by the police and hiding somewhere. Sailaja runs her family with a catering business and is struggling for her four sisters and grandmother (Sowcar Janaki) on one side. On another side, she is facing an existential threat from Mallesh Yadav (Sampath Raj), a big goon who is a henchman of MLA Puchappa (Posani Krishna Murali), and who both are after Sastry. One more thing that suffers her is Battayi Babji (Prudhviraj), her maternal uncle's son who tortures her every day to marry him.
Once, Krishna meets Sailaja when she is in a sorrow mood. The sympathy inside him works out, and she falls in love with her at first sight. Afterward, he comes to know regarding her problems, and the fact that Sailaja hates the police. Because of this, he hides his identity, targets Babji, traps him with some comic tricks, introduces himself to Sailaja as a common man with Babji's help, and starts helping her and her family. In this process, they develop a bond, and Sailaja also starts loving him. However, Krishna's real agenda is completely different. He has been appointed by the commissioner (Murali Sharma) to catch Sailaja father Sastry. That is why he had made this entire plan.
Meanwhile, Sailaja's grandmother collapses from a heart attack and wants to see her son Sastry, Krishna forces Sailaja to call her father. By giving an assurance, he makes her do so. However, his actual motive is to catch him. Sastry visits the hospital. When Krishna tries to arrest him, he listens to the good impression that Sailaja and her family are having on him, so he is not able to arrest him. Suddenly a CI (Brahmaji), who is an assistant to Krishna, enters the scene, surrounds Sastry, and reveals the entire truth regarding Krishna. Sastry escapes from there but is suddenly attacked by goons of Puchappa and Mallesh. He is seriously injured and goes into a coma. Krishna protects him and joins in the hospital, but when Sailaja comes to know Krishna's real motive, she starts hating him and asks him to never show his face. Things get upset between the couple, and they break up with each other.
Soon after, Krishna starts a serious investigation to explore the hidden truth in which he comes to know that Sastry is an income tax officer. In a raid at Puchappa's house, he and his superior officer get a pendrive, which contains life secrets of Puchappa and Mallesh. The superior officer tries make a deal with Mallesh. Knowing this, Sastry keeps the pendrive under wrap. Because of this, Puchappa and Mallesh kill the superior officer, put the blame on Sastry, and they are behind the pendrive and his family.
The rest of the story is all about how Krishna protects Sailaja's family, proves her father's innocence, catches the culprits, and gets back his love.
- Venkatesh as ACP Krishna alias Babu Bangaram
- Nayanthara as Sailaja
- Sampath Raj as Mallesh Yadav
- Posani Krishna Murali as MLA Puchappa
- Brahmanandam as Magic Mangamma
- Murali Sharma as Commissioner
- Jayaprakash as Sastry
- Vennela Kishore as SI Kishore
- Brahmaji as CI
- Rajitha as Sailaja's mother
- Sowcar Janaki as Sailaja's grandmother
- Prudhviraj as Battayi Babji
- Mamilla Shailaja Priya as Mallesh Yadav's wife
- Fish Venkat as Puchappa's henchmen
- Raghu Babu
- Ananth Babu
- Mast Ali
- Raja Ravindra as Inspector
- Prabhas Sreenu as Thief
- Gundu Sudharshan as Priest
- Giridhar as Constable
- Aravind as Mallesh Yadav's goon
- Jabardast Chandra as himself
- Pavala Shymala
- Nik Suler as a background dancer
- Sonam Bajwa as Special appearance in a song
|Film score by|
The music was composed by Ghibran. It's released by Aditya music company. The audio launch was held in Hyderabad on 24 July 2016. Top industry celebrities like Dasari Narayana Rao, Nani, Lavanya Tripathi etc., have attended the function.
|Babu Bangaram (Soundtrack)|
|1.||"Mallela Vaanala"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Naresh Iyer||4:05|
|3.||"Dhandame Ettukuntam"||Bhaskarbhatla||Gold Devaraj||4:08|
|4.||"Dhillunna Vade"||Sri Mani||Dhanunjay,Ramee||3:07|
|5.||"Raaka Raaka"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Chinmayi , Yazin Nizar||4:15|
|6.||"Tikku Tikkantu"||Kasarla Shyam||Narendra,Uma Neha||1:42|
|7.||"Babu Bangaram"||Theme Music||Shabir||3:14|
|1.||"Malligai Pandhale"||Sorkko||Jagadeesh Kumar||4:03|
|2.||"Snehidano Sevagano"||A.M.Ratnam, Siva Ganesh||Ranjith||4:06|
|3.||"Thangame"||Arun Bharathi||Gold Devaraj||4:07|
|4.||"Dil Irundha Vaada"||Meenatchi Sundaram||Dhanunjay, Vallavan||3:07|
|5.||"Kaadil Kaadil"||Viveka||Yazin Nizar, Hari Priya||4:13|
|6.||"Tip Top"||Lokam Bharathi||Gold Devaraj, Hemambiga||1:43|
The film has opened to some decent reviews all over. Noted website, 123telugu has rated the film 3.25 stars and quoted that "Venkatesh is the heart of the film which is a complete time pass family entertainer".
Babu Bangaram collected approximately $177,045 from 97 screens at the U.S. box office in the premiere shows on Thursday. This is the highest collection for a movie featuring Venkatesh and "Babu Bangaram" has become the biggest opener for him. The movie has shattered the record of "Race Gurram", which collected $102,782 at the U.S. premieres. Its collection is on par with that of Allu Arjun's "Sarainodu", which collected $190,679 from 95 locations at paid preview shows in the U.S.
- Top 25 highest-grossing Telugu movies of the year Archived 31 December 2016 at the Wayback Machine
- "Venkatesh Daggubati to play a cop in Dasari Maruthi's latest directorial venture"
- "Venky to Romance Nayanthara"
- "Nayanthara to Romance Venkatesh again"
- "Venkatesh, Nayan film with Maruthi"
- "Ghibran to compose for Venkatesh's film"
- "Venkatesh’s film launched"
- "Venkatesh, Maruthi new movie launched"
- "First Look: Babu Bangaram"
- "Babu Bangaram obtains U/A from censor board". ulaska.com.
- "'Babu Bangaram' release date out"
- "Babu Bangaram rehash of Nirnayam". greatandhra.com.[permanent dead link]
- "Babu Bangaram (Special Song)". Hindustan Times.
- "Babu Bangaram (Audio Launch)". FitNHit.
- "Venkatesh’s ‘Babu Bangaram’ to release on dec 22"[permanent dead link]
- "Revolver Raja premiere on Zee Cinema". YouTube.
- "Babu Bangaram Review". 123telugu. 12 August 2016.