Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union
The Broadcasting, Entertainment, Communications and Theatre Union (BECTU) became a sector of the Prospect trade union in the United Kingdom on 1 January 2017 following the merger of BECTU with Prospect. It has circa 40,000 members who work in broadcasting, film, theatre, IT, telecoms, entertainment, leisure and interactive media.
|Date dissolved||1 January 2017|
|Affiliation||TUC, STUC, UNI, GFTU, ICTU, FEU, Labour Party|
|Key people||Gerry Morrissey, General Secretary|
Jane Perry, President
|Office location||373-377 Clapham Road, London|
BECTU was founded in 1991 with the merger of the Association of Cinematograph Television and Allied Technicians and the Broadcasting and Entertainment Trades Alliance, the history of which can be traced back to 1890. In July 1995, the Film Artistes' Association (FAA), founded in 1927 as a trade union for film extras merged to become a sub-division of BECTU.
BECTU's affiliations included the Trades Union Congress, the Scottish Trades Union Congress, Union Network International, the General Federation of Trade Unions, the Federation of Entertainment Unions and the Labour Party.
BECTU announced in 2014 that it was in merger talks with the Prospect trade union which represents engineers, managers, scientists and other specialists in both the public and private sectors in the UK/ Prospect is not currently affiliated to any political party. At the BECTU Annual Conference held on 14 May 2016 it was agreed to ballot BECTU members on the proposed merger with Prospect. It was announced on 30 Aug 2016 that BECTU members had overwhelmingly voted Yes to the merger with Prospect which took place on 1 January 2017. BECTU became a section of Prospect, with Morrissey continuing to lead the section.
- "Unions Together". Trade Union and Labour Party Liaison Organisation.
- About BECTU home
- "BECTU's History - BECTU".
- BECTU. "BECTU News - Gerry Morrissey is new GS".
- "BBC NEWS - UK - Broadcast trade union leader dies".
- "Prospect and BECTU to explore merger options" Prospect, 24 November 2014
- "About us Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine", Prospect, 29 November 2013
- "Members to vote on Prospect merger" BECTU, 15 May 2016
- "BECTU members back Prospect merger" BECTU, 30 Aug 2016