Béni Mellal-Khénifra (Arabic: بني ملال - خنيفرة, Bani Mallal Khnifṛa; Berber languages: ⴰⵢⵜ ⵎⵍⵍⴰⵍ - ⵅⵏⵉⴼⵕⴰ, Ayt Mllal Khnifṛa) is one of the twelve regions of Morocco. It covers an area of 28,374 km2 and recorded a population of 2,520,776 in the 2014 Moroccan census. The capital of the region is Beni Mellal.
Location in Morocco
|• Type||Governor–regional council|
|• Wali||Mohamed Derdouri|
|• Council president||Ibrahim Moujahid|
|• Total||28,374 km2 (10,955 sq mi)|
(1 September 2014)
|• Density||89/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
Béni Mellal-Khénifra is located in the interior of the country. It borders Rabat-Salé-Kénitra to the north, Fès-Meknès to the northeast, Drâa-Tafilalet to the southeast, Marrakesh-Safi to the southwest and Casablanca-Settat to the northeast. In the western and central part of the region is the productive Tadla plain irrigated by the Oum Er-Rbia River. This plain is bracketed by the High Atlas mountains which run through the southern and eastern parts of the region, and the foothills of the Middle Atlas to the north.
Béni Mellal-Khénifra was formed in September 2015 by adding Khouribga Province of Chaouia-Ouardigha region and Khénifra Province of Meknès-Tafilalet region to the three provinces previously making up the region of Tadla-Azilal.
Ibrahim Moujahid, a member of the Authenticity and Modernity Party, was elected as the regional council's first president on 14 September 2015. Mohamed Derdouri was appointed governor (wali) of the region on 13 October 2015.
Béni Mellal-Khénifra comprises five provinces:
Agriculture is the backbone of the region's economy. Major crops include cereals, beetroot, olives, citrus fruits and pomegranates; the production of milk and meat is also substantial. The Ouled Abdoun Basin near Khouribga holds 44% of Morocco's phosphate reserves.
The Berrechid–Beni Mellal expressway connects the region with the rest of the national expressway network, passing through the cities of Beni Mellal, Oued Zem and Khouribga as it heads northwest to Berrechid just south of Casablanca. National Route 8 is another important highway, connecting Beni Mellal and Khenifra with Marrakesh in the southeast and Fez in the northwest. Beni Mellal Airport is served by Royal Air Maroc, and there is a rail line with passenger service that runs between Oued Zem, Khouribga and Casablanca.
- "Présentation de la région". Direction Régionale du Plan Béni Mellal-Khénifra. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- "POPULATION LÉGALE DES RÉGIONS, PROVINCES, PRÉFECTURES, MUNICIPALITÉS, ARRONDISSEMENTS ET COMMUNES DU ROYAUME D'APRÈS LES RÉSULTATS DU RGPH 2014" (in Arabic and French). High Commission for Planning. 8 April 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Décret fixant le nom des régions" (PDF). Portail National des Collectivités Territoriales (in French). 20 February 2015. Archived from the original (pdf) on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Région Béni Mellal-Khénifra: Pour un projet sociétal et un programme d'action mobilisant les efforts de tous les acteurs et intervenants locaux" (in French). Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Ouassou, A.; Ameziane, T.; Ziyad, A.; Belghiti, M. (2007). "Application of the Drought Management Guidelines in Morocco". Options Méditerranéennes, Series B. CIHEAM (58): 343–372. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- "Ministère de l'Intérieur : l'élection des présidents des Conseils des régions s'est déroulée dans de bonnes conditions et dans un climat de transparence" [Ministry of the Interior: the regional council presidential elections took place under good conditions and in an air of transparency] (Press release) (in French). Maghreb Arabe Press. 14 September 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "SM le Roi a procédé à la nomination les Walis des régions" [His majesty the King appointed the Walis of the regions]. La Vie Éco (in French). 14 October 2015. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Région de Tadla, Azilal (PDF) (Report). FAO. p. 5. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- "Agriculture and Agri-food industry: Sub sectors". Regional Investment Center of Tadla-Azilal. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- S. Zouhri; A. Kchikach; O. Saddiqi; F.Z. El Haimer; L. Baidder; A. Michard (2008). "The Cretaceous-Tertiary Plateaus". In A. Michard; O. Saddiqi; A. Chalouan; D. Frizon de Lamotte (eds.). Continental Evolution: the Geology of Morocco:. Berlin: Springer. pp. 331–358. ISBN 3540770755.
- "Trains Grandes Lignes" (in French). ONCF. Archived from the original on 27 November 2015. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
Media related to Béni Mellal-Khénifra at Wikimedia Commons