Azerbaijanis in Turkmenistan
Azerbaijanis in Turkmenistan (Azerbaijani: Türkmənistan azərbaycanlıları) are part of the Azerbaijani diaspora. They are Turkmen citizens and permanent residents of ethnic Azerbaijani background. Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan used to be part of the Russian Empire and later the Soviet Union. As of 1989, there were 33,365 Azerbaijanis in Turkmenistan.
|33,365 (Census 1989)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Ashgabat, Türkmenbaşy, Baýramaly, Türkmenabat|
|Azerbaijani • Russian|
|census 19261||census 19392||census 19593||census 19704||census 19795||census 19896|
|1 Source: . 2 Source: . 3 Source: . 4 Source: . 5 Source: . 6 Source: .|
- Hajibala Abutalybov, Mayor of Baku (since 2001)
- Ataya Aliyeva, Azerbaijani actress
- Tahir Baghirov, National Hero of Azerbaijan
- Rolan Guliyev, kickboxer; World Champion version WPKA (2009); Champion of 2004 Asian Kickboxing; Turkmenistan champion 2004 kickboxing among professionals; two-time champion in kickboxing Azerbaijan (2005 and 2006) among young people
- Natavan Habibi, Azerbaijani pop singer
- Elnur Hüseynov, one of the two singers who represented Azerbaijan in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008
- Azhdar Ibrahimov, Azerbaijani Soviet film director
- Fakhraddin Musayev, National Hero of Azerbaijan
- Ramiz Mustafayev, Azerbaijani composer and conductor
- Tahira Tahirova, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan SSR (1959–1983)
- Ethnic Composition of Turkmenistan Archived March 16, 2010, at the Wayback Machine (1989 census) . Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Bağırov Tahir Əminağa oğlu". milliqahraman.az. Archived from the original on 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Musayev Fəxrəddin Musa oğlu". milliqahraman.az. Archived from the original on 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2013-08-21.