Axar Patel, also spelled as Akshar Patel, (born 20 January 1994) is an Indian cricketer. He plays as an all-rounder for the Gujarat cricket team. He is a left-hand batsman and slow left-arm orthodox bowler. He was signed up by the IPL franchise Mumbai Indians in 2013 and then by Kings XI Punjab in 2014 and then by Delhi Capitals in 2019. He made his ODI debut on 15 June 2014 against Bangladesh. He was selected in India's 15-man squad for 2015 Cricket World Cup held in Australia and New Zealand.
|Full name||Axar Rajeshbhai Patel|
|Born||20 January 1994|
Nadiad, Gujarat, India
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Bowling||Slow left-arm orthodox|
|ODI debut (cap 202)||15 June 2014 v Bangladesh|
|Last ODI||29 October 2017 v New Zealand|
|ODI shirt no.||20|
|T20I debut||17 July 2015 v Zimbabwe|
|Last T20I||24 February 2018 v South Africa|
|Domestic team information|
|2014-2018||Kings XI Punjab (squad no. 20)|
Source: CricInfo, 16 January 2019
Patel took 6 for 55 in Delhi's first innings. This was his first five-wicket haul in his first-class career in only his second match.
Patel played just one first-class game in his debut season for Gujarat, but had a more successful showing in 2013. Slotted primarily as a bowling allrounder, the left-arm spinner got his first IPL contract with Mumbai Indians ahead of IPL 2013, although he was on the bench for the entire season.
He was one of the key contributors to India Under-23s' title win in the ACC Emerging Teams Cup 2013, with seven wickets, including a four-for in the semi-final against UAE. He was one of the consistent performers for Gujarat in the 2013/14 Ranji Trophy, finishing the season with 369 runs at an average of 46.12 and 29 wickets at 23.58. In early 2014, he was named the BCCI Under-19 cricketer of the year for the 2012/13 season.
Patel was signed up by the IPL franchise Mumbai Indians in 2013 and then by Kings XI Punjab in 2014. He had an impressive season with Kings XI Punjab in IPL 2014 with 17 wickets. He was rightly named the 'Emerging Player of the Year' for IPL 2014. He was retained by the Kings XI Punjab for the 2015 IPL season for his impressive performances in the previous edition. Batting lower down the order, he scored 206 runs for the Kings XI Punjab in 2015 in addition to taking wickets. On 1 May 2016, during a match against the Gujarat Lions, he took four wickets in five balls, including the first (and only) hat-trick of the 2016 IPL season, to pave the way for Kings XI Punjab's 23-run win against table-toppers Gujarat Lions in Rajkot. He was retained by Kings XI Punjab for the 2018 season.
After excellent performance in the 2014 IPL, Patel was rewarded with a place in the Indian ODI squad for the tour to Bangladesh  and made his ODI debut in the first match of series at Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium and took 1/59 runs.
Patel got a call up for the five match ODI series against West Indies and played in the 4th ODI where he only conceded 26 runs for 2 wickets in his 10 overs.
He was also a part of 15 man squad for the 5 match series against Sri Lanka where he played in all 5 matches and took 11 wickets and made 31 runs at a strike rate of 178.
He was part of India's 15-man squad for the 2015 Cricket World Cup.
- "Kulkarni's (sort-of) Cruyff turn, and Madziva's errant towel". ESPN.com. 15 June 2016. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- "Axar Patel". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Axar Patel: Axar Patel News, Cricket Records, Stats, India Player Profile". NDTV. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Akshar Patel". CricketArchive. Retrieved 1 February 2015. (subscription required)
- "Akshar Patel". Wisden India. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Delhi concede slender 1st innings lead as Akshar grabs six wickets. Times Of India. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- Akshar Patel spins India into ACC Emerging Teams Cup final. Indian Express. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- Akshar named best U-19 cricketer Archived 14 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Times Of India(mobile site). Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Axar Patel - Kings XI Punjab player - IPLT20.com". IPLT20. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Axar Patel 'tricks as KXIP make winning start under Murali Vijay". Cricbuzz. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "IPL 2019 auction: The list of sold and unsold players". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "IPL 2019 Auction: Who got whom". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI: India romp to 7-wicket win". Emirates247.com. 15 June 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- "India tour of Zimbabwe, 1st T20I: Zimbabwe v India at Harare, Jul 17, 2015". ESPNCricinfo. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: BCCI likely to take last-minute call on Kedar Jadhav's fitness; Ambati Rayudu, Axar Patel on standby- Firstcricket News, Firstpost". FirstCricket. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- Akshar put on giant screen by brother. Indian Express. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- Akshar Patel : Emerging Player of the Tournament in IPL 7. Yahoo Cricket. Retrieved 18 June 2014.