Awwal Number is a 1990 Indian sports action thriller film directed by Dev Anand. The film features the then 67-year-old Dev Anand with Aditya Pancholi and Aamir Khan. Dev Anand first offered the role of Ranvir Singh to cricketer Imran Khan.
|Directed by||Dev Anand|
|Produced by||Navketan Productions|
|Written by||Dev Anand|
|Music by||Bappi Lahiri|
The story revolves around cricket where a new star Sunny (Aamir Khan) has been included in the team in place of another famous star Ronny (Aditya Pancholi). All this creates hatred in the heart of Ronny against Sunny, although Sunny respects him. Ronny decides to take revenge on Sunny; meanwhile a terrorist decides to put a bomb in the field where a match is to be organised between India and Australia.
DIG Vikram Singh (Dev Anand) comes to know about the plan of the terrorists and goes on to prevent the attack, saving thousands of lives. Sunny also becomes a star by playing a match-winning stroke for the country.
- Dev Anand... DIG Vikram Singh (Vicky)
- Aamir Khan... Sunny
- Aditya Pancholi... Ranvir Singh (Ronny)
- Neeta Puri... Maria
- Ekta Sohini... Aarti Rani
- Sudhir Pandey... Sundaram
- Vikram Gokhale
- Parikshat Sahni... in a special appearance as a Selection committee member
- Ram Mohan... In a special appearance as a Selection committee member
- Aanjjan Srivastav... In a special appearance as a Cricket commentator
- Bharat Bhushan... Sunny's Grandfather
- Birbal... Chhaganlal
- Sameer Khakkar... Terrorist
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda... Kundi
- Raj Kishore... In a special appearance as a Bartender
- Mac Mohan... Mani
- Cindy Crawford... Dev Anand's step mother in the picture
- Subbiraj... Police Commissioner Patil
- Ajit Vachani. Police Inspector
- Aftab Shivdasani... Young Sunny
The music was composed By Bappi Lahiri and the lyrics were by Amit Khanna. Voices were rendered by Asha Bhosle, Amit Kumar, Udit Narayan, S. Janki and Bappi Lahiri.
|1||"Awawal Number"||Bappi Lahiri|
|2||"Yeh Hai Cricket"||Bappi Lahiri, Amit Kumar & Udit Narayan|
|3||"Choom Choom Choom Haath Mera"||Amit Kumar|
|4||"Laakhon Main Nigahon Main"||Bappi Lahiri, Udit Narayan, S. Janki|
|5||"Poocho Na Kysa Maza"||Amit Kumar & S.Janki|
|6||"Tere Liye Ha Tere Liye"||Asha Bhosle|
Aamir Khan, quoted in an interview after Dev Anand's death, said: "He was an icon for many generations and entertained us throughout his life. The only film I signed without reading the script was Awwal Number." 
- Anand, Dev (2007). Romancing With Life. India: Penguin India. p. 290. ISBN 978-0-14-341856-6.
- http://ahmedabadmirror.com/article/3/2011120520111205004711346a793e3ba/%E2%80%98Only-film-I-signed-without-reading-the-script-was-Awwal-Number%E2%80%99-.html?pageno=2[permanent dead link]