Avatar Press is an independent American publisher of comic books, founded in 1996 by William A. Christensen, and based in Rantoul, Illinois. Avatar Press is most notable for publishing "Bad Girl" comics such as Faust, Pandora, the hardcore pornographic Jungle Fantasy Hellina, Lookers, The Ravening, and Brian Pulido's Lady Death.
|Founder||William A. Christensen|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Rantoul, Illinois|
|Distribution||Diamond Book Distributors (books)|
|Key people||William A. Christensen|
|Publication types||Comic books|
Currently, Avatar publishes several ongoing series. They have a strong web presence, anchored by Warren Ellis' FreakAngels webcomic, as well as the comics news site Bleeding Cool, helmed by Rich Johnston.
As part of an effort to expand beyond their reputation as a bad girl publisher, it offered a number of noted creators an opportunity to publish creator-owned books with no content restrictions whatsoever. Among the creators to take them up on their offer were Frank Miller, Warren Ellis, Alan Moore, and Garth Ennis.
- Pandora (Avatar's flagship character)
- Nira-X Cyberangel (Bill Maus)
- William Tucci's Shi
- The Ravening
- Mike Deodato's Jade Warriors
- Rob Liefeld's Avengelyne, Glory, and The Coven
- Marat Mychael's Demonslayer
- Tim Vigil's Webwitch
- Brian Pulido's Lady Death (of Chaos Comics fame), Belladonna, War Angel, Unholy, and Gypsy
- Medieval Lady Death
- Everette Hartsoe's Razor
- Jungle Fantasy, starring Fauna from the Threshold series' "Fauna, Jungle Girl"
- Jungle Fantasy: Ivory, starring an independent cave-woman named Ivory who is a "widow" in search of her infant son who was abducted
- Twilight, which, along with Twilight: Live Wire, was reprinted in Twilight: Raw
- Mike Wolfer's Widow
- Jamie Delano's Narcopolis and Rawbone
- Warren Ellis:
- Garth Ennis:
- Christos Gage's Absolution
- Kieron Gillen's The Heat and Über
- Steven Grant's My Flesh is Cool and Mortal Souls
- Jenni Gregory's Dreamwalker
- Rich Johnston's Rich Johnston's Holed Up
- David Lapham:
- Mark Millar's The Unfunnies
- Alan Moore's Neonomicon, Providence, and Cinema Purgatorio
- Eric Powell's The Goon
- Zak Penn's Hero Worship
- John A. Russo's Escape of the Living Dead
- Tim Vigil:
- Jonathan Hickman's God Is Dead
- Frank Miller's RoboCop
- Friday the 13th
- A Nightmare on Elm Street
- George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead
- Alan Moore:
- Max Brooks:
- The Extinction Parade
- Joe R. Lansdale:
- George R. R. Martin:
Former notable seriesEdit
- Our Publishers
- "Future Imperfect: Jamie Delano talks Narcopolis". Comic Book Resources. November 7, 2007.
- "Entering Narcopolis I: Jamie Delano". Newsarama. March 1, 2008. Archived from the original on May 15, 2009.
- "Double-Crossed: Ennis & Burrows talk Crossed". Comic Book Resources. June 12, 2008.
- "CCI: Christos Gage discusses Absolution". Comic Book Resources. July 23, 2008.
- Leader, Michael (November 3, 2009). "Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie Interview". Den of Geek. Archived from the original on 6 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- "Escape of the Living Dead". Avatar Press.
- "WWC XTRA: Picking the Brains of a 'Living Dead' Legend with Avatar Press". Comic Book Resources. August 13, 2007.
- "WW Philly: The Avatar Panel". Newsarama. June 1, 2008. Archived from the original on February 12, 2009.