Avalon Theatre (Portland, Oregon)
Avalon Theatre, established as the Sunnyside Theatre in 1912, is the oldest operating movie theater in Portland, Oregon, and is believed to be the state's oldest theater and the first with more than one screen.
|Architectural style||Art Deco|
|Address||3451 SE Belmont Street|
Located at the intersection of Southeast Belmont Street and 35th Avenue in the city's Sunnyside neighborhood, the location of the Avalon Theatre had been formerly used as a mortuary and later a brothel before being converted into a theatre in 1912, operating as the Sunnyside Theatre.
Known for showing second-run films on two screens and for low prices, the theater has an Art Deco design but Avalon's main feature is its classic nickel arcade, which was established in conjunction with the theatre in 1925. The establishment is operated by McKee Enterprises, who own the Wunderland arcade company which operates at the theatre. John McKee purchased the Avalon in 1964, and became the first cinema in Portland to operate with multiple screens.
- Lacher, Gary; Stone, Steve (2009). Theatres of Portland. Arcadia Publishing. pp. 99, 100.
- Smith, Quinton (January 20, 2011). "Gresham Cinema & Wunderland Electric Castle, a new arcade and theater, expands family-oriented entertainment options in Gresham". The Oregonian. Retrieved April 13, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lundberg, Laura. "Avalon Nickel Arcade Keeps Old School Entertainment Alive in Portland". Flux. Retrieved November 25, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Beck, Katie (February 7, 2011). "Portland, Oregon's Art Deco movie houses". BBC. Retrieved April 13, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Sanford, Tim (April 27, 2010). "John McKee, Gameroom And Theater Pioneer From Ore., Dies At 70". Vending Times. Retrieved November 22, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[permanent dead link]
- Barker, Brian. "Best of the City 2008". Portland Monthly. Portland, Oregon. p. 5. Archived from the original on 2011-04-30. Retrieved April 13, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avalon Theatre.|