Autar Singh Paintal
Autar Singh Paintal MD PhD FRS (24 September 1925 in Mogok, Burma – 21 December 2004 in Delhi, India) was a medical scientist who made pioneering discoveries in the area of neurosciences and respiratory sciences.
A. S. Paintal FRS
|Died||21 December 2004 (aged 79)|
His major contribution to the world of science is the development of a single-fiber technique for recording afferent impulses from individual sensory receptors. Paintal discovered several sensory receptors including atrial B receptors, pulmonary J-receptors, ventricular pressure receptors, stomach stretch receptors, and muscle pain receptors. They have set the beginning of new era in physiological understanding.
Paintal returned to India in 1953 and joined All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. He later became Director of the Vallabhai Patel Chest Institute. He was also the first Principal of University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi. Paintal subsequently was elevated to Director General of the Indian Council of Medical Research and he was also the founder president of Society of Scientific Values.
Paintal had 3 children by his first wife Iris Paintal. His eldest daughter, Dr Anita Tripathi, studied medicine and taught physiology at King George's Medical College in Mumbai. Paintal's second daughter Priti Paintal is an established music composer in the UK with her own company ShivaNova. Paintal's son Dr Gautam Paintal is a professional geologist. Paintal's second wifeDr Ashima Anand-Paintal is also a scientist.
- "Honorary Memberships Granted to Glynn, Hokfelt, Paintal, and Skou" (PDF). The Physiologist. American Physiological Society. 33 (5): 154. October 2009.
- Iggo, A. (2006). "Autar Singh Paintal. 24 September 1925 -- 21 December 2004: Elected FRS 1981". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 52: 251–262. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2006.0018. PMID 18543474.
- Edited by DP Burma,, Maharani Chakravorty (2011). From Physiology and Chemistry to Biochemistry. Pearson Education India. p. 163. ISBN 9788131732205.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- "Autar Singh Paintal (1925-2004)". Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 49 (2): 247–250. 2005. PMID 16247944.
- A.S. Paintal — a celebrated physiologist
- "Autar Singh Paintal, MBBS, MD, PhD (1925-2004)". Obituaries. American Physiological Society. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2006.
- Obituary from Indian Journal of Chest Diseases and Allied Sciences
|This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|