Augustus of Anhalt-Plötzkau (Dessau, 14 July 1575 – Plötzkau, 22 August 1653), was a German prince of the House of Ascania and ruler of the unified principality of Anhalt. From 1603, he was ruler of the principality of Anhalt-Plötzkau.
In 1586, after the death of his father, Augustus inherited Anhalt jointly with his half- and full brothers under the regency of the eldest, John George I.
After seventeen years of joint rule, the surviving brothers agreed to a formal division of their lands in 1603. Augustus received Plötzkau, which was created from parts of the old principality of Anhalt-Bernburg.
Marriage and issueEdit
- Johanna (b. Plötzkau, 24 November 1618 - d. Quedlinburg, 3 May 1676).
- Ernest Gottlieb, Prince of Anhalt-Plötzkau (b. Plötzkau, 4 September 1620 - d. Plötzkau, 7 March 1654).
- Lebrecht, Prince of Anhalt-Plötzkau, later Anhalt-Köthen (b. Plötzkau, 8 April 1622 - d. Köthen, 7 November 1669).
- Dorothea (b. Zerbst, 20 June 1623 - d. Plötzkau, 6 December 1637).
- Ehrenpreis (b. Zerbst, 21 July 1625 - d. Bernburg, 21 July 1626).
- Sophie (b. Plötzkau, 11 July 1627 - d. Köthen, 24 November 1679).
- Elisabeth (b. Plötzkau, 21 March 1630 - d. Köthen, 17 April 1692).
- Emmanuel, Prince of Anhalt-Plötzkau, later Anhalt-Köthen (b. Plötzkau, 6 October 1631 - d. Köthen, 8 November 1670).
- 'Johann Valentin Andreae's Utopian Brotherhoods' by Donald R. Dickson, Renaissance Quarterly Vol. 49, No. 4 (Winter, 1996), pp. 760–802