August 32nd on Earth
August 32nd on Earth (French: Un 32 août sur terre, and also known as 32nd Day of August on Earth) is a 1998 Canadian drama film directed and written by Denis Villeneuve, in his feature directorial debut, and produced by Roger Frappier. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival. Alexis Martin won the Prix Jutra for Best Actor. The film was selected as the Canadian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 71st Academy Awards, but was not nominated.
|August 32nd on Earth|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Denis Villeneuve|
|Produced by||Roger Frappier|
|Written by||Denis Villeneuve|
|Edited by||Sophie Leblond|
In the aftermath of a highway mishap, photo model Simone (Pascale Bussières) decides that conceiving a baby with her best friend Philippe (Alexis Martin) is the only way to give her vacant life some meaning. Philippe reluctantly agrees with the proviso that they conceive in a desert.
- Paule Baillargeon as Doctor in hospital
- Emmanuel Bilodeau as Philippe's best friend
- Pascale Bussières as Simone Prévost
- R. Craig Costin as Hired car clerk
- Joanne Côté as Monica
- Frédéric Desager as Stéphane
- Estelle Esse as Leather shop clerk
- Lee C. Fobert as Car driver – Salt Lake City
- Venelina Ghiaourov as Nurse
- Richard S. Hamilton as Taxi driver
- Marc Jeanty as Janvier
- Alexis Martin as Philippe
- Evelyne Rompré as Juliette
- Ivan Smith as Doctor
- Serge Thériault as Car driver
- Jim Levesque as Customer in café
- "Festival de Cannes: August 32nd on Earth". Festival-Cannes.com. Archived from the original on 22 January 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2009.
- Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- "45 Countries Submit Films for Oscar Consideration". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 19 November 1998. Archived from the original on 19 February 1999. Retrieved 20 October 2015.