Atlantic Film Festival
|Location||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
- 1 Events
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Awards, Premieres, and Gala Screenings
- 3.1 2018 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.2 2017 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.3 2016 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.4 2015 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.5 2014 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.6 2013 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.7 2012 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.8 2011 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.9 2010 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.10 2009 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.11 2008 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.12 2007 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.13 2006 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.14 2005 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.15 2004 Atlantic Film Festival
- 3.16 2003 Atlantic Film Festival
- 4 Strategic Partners
- 5 References
- 6 External links
FIN holds multiple events throughout the year. The FIN: Atlantic International Film Festival is an 8-day event, screening films from Canada and around the world, and showcasing Atlantic Canadian films and artists. During the first three days of the Festival, FIN simultaneously runs FIN Partners, an international co-production market focusing on film & TV and early stage projects that is limited to 200 top industry players from around the world. In the spring, FIN holds FIN Kids (formerly Viewfinders: Atlantic Film Festival for Youth), a 5-day event designed to engage, entertain and educate young people. FIN Outdoor, (formerly Outdoor Film Experience) is FIN's outdoor summer film series held in various locations across the Halifax Regional Municipality.
The 2005 festival experienced a 24 per cent attendance increase from the previous year with 29,400 in overall attendance, including 28 sold-out screenings and events. In 2007 attendance was up 18 per cent over 2006, with a record-setting 33,500 people taking part in the 27th annual event.
Awards, Premieres, and Gala ScreeningsEdit
2018 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
An Audience of Chairs won Best Atlantic Feature, as well as Best Director (Deanne Foley). Duck Duck Goose by Shelley Thompson was awarded Best Short and Grace by Taylor Olson was the runner up. Shelley Thompson won Best Actress for Splinters and Taylor Olson awarded Best Actor for Hopeless Romantic.
2017 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
2016 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
Maudie was awarded Best Atlantic Feature, the Audience Award was won by Moonlight, and Ashley McKenzie won Best Director for Werewolf. This year's other selections included Weirdos, Theatre Of Life, It's Only the End of the World, Manchester by the Sea, Paterson, Toni Erdmann, The Salesman, Perfume War, and Exit Thread.
2015 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
Across the Line (Titled Undone at the time of the festival) was awarded Best Atlantic Feature.
2014 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
2013 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
There Are Monsters was awarded Best Atlantic Feature and Best Director (Jay Dahl).
2012 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
Blackbird was awarded Best Atlantic Feature and Best Director (Jason Buxton). This year's festival also featured the premieres of Roaming, the first film produced through Telefilm Canada's First Feature Program, The Disappeared, and Paul-Émile d'Entremont's documentary Last Chance.
2011 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
Charlie Zone won Best Atlantic Feature and Best Director (Michael Melski) and Thom Fitzgerald's Cloudburst won the People's Choice Audience Award. A number of high-profile actors, including Brenda Fricker, Billy Boyd, Adam Sinclair, Kristin Kreuk and Famke Janssen, were in attendance. The opening film was Rollertown, the closing film was Mike Clattenburg's Afghan Luke, and the CBC Shorts Gala featured short films by Cory Bowles and Christian Sparkes.
2010 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
2009 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
The opening film was Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day.
2008 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
2007 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
2006 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
2005 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
2004 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
2003 Atlantic Film FestivalEdit
Strategic Partners is an annual international film co-production market, held in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. The event has been held annually since its inception in 1998, and is held simultaneously with the first three days of the Atlantic Film Festival. The 20th Strategic Partners will take place September 14–16, 2017.
Every year, SP's organizers accept 200 delegates from around the world, in a bid to provide a 'one-stop shop' for film and TV producers and early-stage projects. Similar in format to International Film Festival Rotterdam's Cinemart, the European Film Market's co-production forum, and Independent Film Week's No Borders, Strategic Partners is Canada's premiere film and television co-production event. While the event attracts a strong core attendance from Canada, the US and the UK, it also focuses on an annual group of spotlight countries.
2016/2017: Nordic countries and the United States
2014/2015: Latin America and the United States
2013: India and United Kingdom
2012: United States and the United Kingdom
2011: South Africa, United States and Australia
2009: Germany and Ireland
2008: Argentina, Brazil and Mexico
2006: Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- "AFF 2005 attendance". Atlantic Film Festival. 2005-10-04. Retrieved 2006-07-27.
- "Atlantic Film Fest big success". Halifax Daily News. 2007-10-19. Retrieved 2007-11-02.[permanent dead link]
- "Atlantic Film Festival hands out 2016 festival awards". CBC News. September 26, 2016. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- "Barry Jenkins' 'Moonlight' Nabs Audience Award at Atlantic Film Festival". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- "Cape Breton film 'Werewolf' a howling success at Atlantic Film Festival". Cape Breton Post. 26 September 2016. Archived from the original on 2 February 2017. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Newfoundland film casts big shadow at festival". thechronicleherald.ca. The Chronicle Herald. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "Film dealing with persecution of gays to be available on NFB website". Canadian Press. CTV News. 4 December 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Strategic Partners". FIN Atlantic International Film Festival. Retrieved July 10, 2017.
- "HBO Nordic executive to deliver Strategic Partners keynote". Screen Daily. June 26, 2017. Retrieved July 10, 2017.