Club Atlético Malagueño, shortened to Atlético Malagueño, (Spanish pronunciation: [aˈtletiko malaˈɣeɲo]) is a Spanish football team based in Málaga, in the autonomous community of Andalusia. Founded in 1990 it is the reserve team of Málaga CF, and currently plays in Tercera División – Group 9, holding home games at Ciudad Deportiva de El Viso, which has a capacity of 1,300 spectators.
|Full name||Club Atlético Malagueño|
|Ground||Ciudad Deportiva Federación Malagueña de Fútbol, Málaga,|
|President||Abdullah Al Thani|
|Head coach||Juan Francisco Funes|
|League||3ª – Group 9|
|2019–20||3ª – Group 9, 9th|
Reserve teams in the Spain play in the same football pyramid as their senior team rather than a separate league. However, reserve teams cannot play in the same division as their senior team. Therefore, the team is ineligible for promotion to the division in which the first team competes. Reserve teams are also no longer permitted to enter the Copa del Rey.
The club was founded in 1990 as Sociedad Deportiva Malagueña, the reserve team of Club Atlético Malagueño. When the latter became Málaga CF in 1994, it changed its name to Málaga CF "B" the following year.
The B-team followed the first one as it moved up the different divisions and, at the end of 2002–03 was promoted to the second division where it would last three seasons, returning to the fourth level in 2007.
- As farm team
- Sociedad Deportiva Malagueña (1990–95)
- As reserve team
- Málaga Club de Fútbol, S.A.D. "B" (1995–2009)
- Atlético Malagueño (2009–14)
- Club Atlético Malagueño (2014– )
Season to seasonEdit
- SD Malagueña
|Season||Tier||Division||Place||Copa del Rey|
- As a reserve team
- As of 20 December 2020
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
Selected former coachesEdit
- El Málaga B volverá a ser Atlético Malagueño (Málaga B to be Atlético Malagueño again) Archived 17 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine (in Spanish)
- El Málaga B pasa a denominarse de manera oficial Atlético Malagueño (Málaga B officially named Atlético Malagueño) Archived 14 July 2009 at the Wayback Machine (in Spanish)
- Official website (in Spanish)
- Futbolme team profile (in Spanish)
- Club & stadium history Estadios de España (in English)