Athletics at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Women's 5000 metres
|Women's 5000 metres|
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Beijing National Stadium|
|Dates||19 August 2008 (heats)|
22 August 2008 (final)
|Competitors||32 from 20 nations|
The qualifying standards were 15:09.00 (A standard) and 15:24.00 (B standard).
While strategically this was different, the results were much the same as the 10000 final a week earlier. Elvan Abeylegesse kept took the lead earlier but field did not dissipate behind her, instead Ethiopians, Kenyans and newly crowned steeplechase world record holder Gulnara Samitova-Galkina engulfing each attempt to pull away. Going into the last lap, it was the three Ethiopians and former Ethiopian Abeylegesse at the front, with the Kenyan team and Russian Liliya Shobukhova already trying to catch back up. Tirunesh Dibaba jumped into the lead with the expected chase coming from Meseret Defar, in one of the few head to head battles between these two stars. But Abeylegesse hadn't read the script and refused to get out of the picture. Through the final turn she caught Defar and swung wide into lane 2 as if to speed past Dibaba. She was able to match Dibaba's speed down the final straight but couldn't make up the ground she had lost, Dibaba taking her second gold, Defar holding off the rest of the field to take bronze.
On 29 March 2017, IAAF confirmed that Abeylegesse had tested positive for a banned substance at the 2007 World Championships in Athletics, and that her results from 2007 to 2009, including her Olympic silvers, had been expunged.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows:
|World record||Tirunesh Dibaba (ETH)||14:11.15||Oslo, Norway||6 June 2008|
|Olympic record||Gabriela Szabó (ROU)||14:40.79||Sydney, Australia||25 September 2000|
No new world or Olympic records were set for this event.
Qualification: First 6 in each heat(Q) and the next 3 fastest(q) advance to the final.
|8||Kara Goucher||United States||15:49.39|
|9||Shalane Flanagan||United States||15:50.80|
|10||Priscah Jepleting Cherono||Kenya||15:51.78|
|13||Jennifer Rhines||United States||16:34.63|
- Mallon, Bill (26 Sep 2017). "2008-12 OLYMPIC DOPING RE-TEST – AN UPDATE-UPDATE". Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- "Olympic Athletics Competition Schedule". IAAF. Archived from the original on 13 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-04.
- "Entry Standards - The XXIX Olympic Games - Beijing, China - 8/24 August 2008". IAAF. Archived from the original on 13 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-04.
- IAAF March 2017 Newsletter
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-08-24. Retrieved 2008-08-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-08-25. Retrieved 2008-08-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)