Athletics at the 1908 Summer Olympics – Men's 10 miles walk
The men's 10 miles walk race was held at the 1908 Summer Olympics in London. This event was held for the only time. The competition was held on Thursday, July 16, 1908 and on Friday, July 17, 1908. The competition was held in two rounds. There were two heats in the first round, with the top four in each heat advancing to the final. 25 race walkers from eight nations competed.
|Men's 10 miles walk|
at the Games of the IV Olympiad
|Venue||White City Stadium|
|Dates||July 16 (semifinals) |
July 17 (final)
|Competitors||25 from 8 nations|
The first round heats were held on Thursday, July 16, 1908.
Carter, Larner, and Spencer intentionally drew even to finish in a line. Carter had been in second place, followed by Spencer and then Larner before they did so.
|1||Ernest Webb||Great Britain||1:20:18.8|
|2||Frank Carter||Great Britain||1:21:25.4|
|Ernest Larner||Great Britain||1:21:25.4|
|Edward Spencer||Great Britain||1:21:25.4|
|6||Thomas Hammond||Great Britain||1:23:44.0|
|—||Jo Goetzee||Netherlands||Did not finish|
|Arne Højme||Denmark||Did not finish|
|Piet Soudyn||Netherlands||Did not finish|
|Willem Winkelman||Netherlands||Did not finish|
|Alfred Yeoumans||Great Britain||Disqualified|
|1||George Larner||Great Britain||1:18:19.0|
|2||Ralph Harrison||Great Britain||1:18:21.2|
|4||William Palmer||Great Britain||1:19:04.0|
|5||Gadwin Withers||Great Britain||1:19:22.4|
|6||Sydney Schofield||Great Britain||1:21:07.4|
|—||John Butler||Great Britain||Did not finish|
|George Goulding||Canada||Did not finish|
|Jan Huijgen||Netherlands||Did not finish|
|Einar Rothman||Sweden||Did not finish|
|Charles Vestergaard||Denmark||Did not finish|
The final was held on Friday, July 17, 1908.
|1||George Larner||Great Britain||1:15:57.4|
|2||Ernest Webb||Great Britain||1:17:31.0|
|3||Edward Spencer||Great Britain||1:21:20.2|
|4||Frank Carter||Great Britain||1:21:20.2|
|5||Ernest Larner||Great Britain||1:24:26.2|
|6||William Palmer||Great Britain||Unknown|
|—||Ralph Harrison||Great Britain||Did not start|
|—||Harry Kerr||Australasia||Did not start|
- "Athletics at the 1908 London Summer Games: Men's 10 mile Walk". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- The time appears on the official report as "go min. 334⁄5 sec."
- Listed on the official report as in sixth place, with a dash in the time column, indicating that Palmer finished in sixth place but without the time having been recorded. De Wael lists Palmer with Harrison in the "did not finish" section.
- Official Report of the Games of the IV Olympiad (1908).
- De Wael, Herman. Herman's Full Olympians: "Athletics 1908". Accessed 31 March 2006. Available electronically at .