Athienou (Greek: Αθηένου or Αθηαίνου, locally [aθiˈenu]) is a village in Larnaca District, Cyprus. It is one of only four villages located within the United Nations Buffer Zone, the other three being Pyla, Troulloi and Deneia. Today, Athienou has a population of around 6,500 people. Since 1990, it has been home to Davidson College's Athienou Archaeological Project. The town's city hall includes a museum of local history and culture that was established in 2008.
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
It is considered by many, that the name of the village Athienou, derived from the ancient Greek word, "Atta" (Greek: Αττα) or "Atha" (Greek: Αθθα), meaning large rock, which characterized the rocky land of the village. According to another theory, the name derives from a Lusignan called Étienne, who lived in the area, and the people who lived in the village were mentioning his house as "Etienne's Place" (Greek: "Στου Ετιένου", stou etiennou), and in later years that changed into Athienou.
- "C1. POPULATION ENUMERATED BY SEX, AGE, DISTRICT, MUNICIPALITY/COMMUNITY AND QUARTER (1.10.2011)", Population - Place of Residence, 2011, Statistical Service of the Republic of Cyprus, 2014-04-17, archived from the original on 2014-04-20, retrieved 2014-04-20
- "Municipality of Athienou - One of the most ancient municipalities". Municipality of Athienou. Archived from the original on 11 October 2008. Retrieved 20 July 2008.
- Agelarakis A., “Paleopathology and its Contributions to the Decipherment of the Human Condition in Antiquity: A Preliminary Report for the Case of two Skeletal Populations from Malloura in Cyprus”, Report of the Department of Antiquities, Cyprus, 1997: 239-250
- According to chart on the wall in exhibit room number 1 at the Larnaca District Museum
- Dothan, Trude and Amnon Ben-Tor, "Excavations at Athienou, Cyprus, 1971-2 (Preliminary Report)," Israel Exploration Journal Vol. 22, No. 4 (1972), pp. 201–208.
- Dothan, Trude & Amnon Ben-Tor, Qedem 16 (1983), Jerusalem.
- Media related to Athienou at Wikimedia Commons
- Athienou Archaeological Project Archived 2012-12-10 at archive.today
- Athienou municipality