At the Black Hawk 2
At the Black Hawk 2 is a live album by drummer Shelly Manne's group Shelly Manne & His Men, recorded at the Black Hawk in San Francisco, California, in 1959 and released on the Contemporary label. The album was the second volume of four originally released in 1960. In 1991 the albums were re-released on CD with bonus tracks along with a fifth volume of unreleased recordings, and a Complete Live at the Black Hawk box set was released in 2010.
|At the Black Hawk 2|
|Live album by |
Shelly Manne & His Men
|Recorded||September 22-24, 1959|
The Black Hawk in San Francisco, California
|Shelly Manne chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow states: "These lengthy performances ("Vamp's Blues" is over 19 minutes long) give trumpeter Joe Gordon, the cool-toned tenor-saxophonist Richie Kamuca, pianist Victor Feldman, bassist Monty Budwig and the leader/drummer a chance to really stretch out. Fine 1950s bebop".
- "Step Lightly" (Benny Golson) - 12:59
- "What's New?" (Bob Haggart, Johnny Burke) - 13:28
- "Vamp's Blues" (Charlie Mariano) - 20:14
- "Step Lightly" [alternate take] (Golson) - 14:18 Bonus track on CD reissue
- "Theme: A Gem from Tiffany" (Bill Holman) - 0:42
- Recorded at the Black Hawk, San Francisco on September 22 (track 4) and September 24 (tracks 1-3 & 5), 1959.