This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)
Aswad is a male Arabic given name that means "black" (also used for people of black complexion).
People named Aswad include:
- Aswad ibn Yazid, narrator of hadith
People using it in their patronymic include:
- Miqdad ibn Aswad, companion of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad
- Ziad Abderrazzak Mohammad Aswad, former government minister in Iraq
Other uses of the word include:
- Al-Abd Al-Aswad, a form of torture noted in Syria
- Hajarul Aswad, the Black Stone at the Kaaba in Mecca
- Aswad, British reggae group
- Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora (ASWAD)
- أيلول الأسود (aylūl al-aswad), Black September.
- ^ A. M. Rosenthal, On My Mind; A Tour Of Syria, New York Times, October 25, 1994. Retrieved 2012-05-30.