Assomada is a city on the Sotavento (leeward) island of Santiago in Cape Verde. Since 1912, it is the seat of the municipality of Santa Catarina, which comprises the central western part and much of the interior of the island. It is the largest city in that region.
|Civil parish||Santa Catarina|
|Elevation||560 m (1,840 ft)|
Assomada lies at about 550 m (1,800 ft) elevation on a plateau surrounded by mountains, farmland, and hills in the center of Santa Catarina. Assomada is located 26 km (16 mi) northwest of Praia. It has an urban area of about 550 ha (1,400 acres). In 2015, it had about 15,000 inhabitants, making it the second largest city on the island. Assomada plays an important commercial role and has a pleasant combination of urban areas and fields. Assomada lies near the midpoint of the highway that runs the length of the island of Santiago from Praia (the capital) in the south to the northern port of Tarrafal (EN1-ST01).
Assomada is subdivided into 22 neighborhoods including Achada Riba, Atrás de Banco, Bolanha, the City Center (central part), Chã de Santos, Covão, Covão Ribeiro, Cruz Vermelha, Cumbém (located in the south), Cutelo, Cutelo Torre, Espinho Branco, Leiria, Lém Vieira, Matinho, Nhagar (located in the north), Pedra Barro, Ponta Fonte Lima, Portãozinho, Tarafalinho and Tras da Empa (Traz d'Empa).
The age and sex distribution at the 2010 census were:
|Under 15||Between 15 and 64||65 and over|
In addition to a professional school (i.e., Escola de Formação Profissional), Assomada is home to the University of Santiago, which is a major Cabo Verdean university and a private one, an extensive school complex, including a public high school (Amilcar Cabral High School), two private secondary schools (Centro de Ensino de Assomada and Escola Secundária Abrolhos) and a primary school (escola primária). It is also the home of an elite vocational school (i.e., technical school Grand Duke Henri), which trains the most promising Cape Verdean youth in career skills.
Commerce, financial services (particularly banking), transport, and educational services are the lifeblood of the city. Among the financial entities that contribute much to the local economy are: six commercial banks, hundreds of retail and wholesale businesses, a relatively large fleet of taxis and minivans, schools (including private secondary schools and a private university). The "summit city" as it is kindly called by its locals and the outsiders is increasingly consolidating its economic success and self-sustainability. The residents of the city of Assomada enjoy the highest living standards on the island of Santiago.
- Norberto Tavares, singer and activist
- Orlanda Amarílis, writer
- Victor Borges (or Victor Barbosa), Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2004 to 2008
- Danielson Gomes Monteiro, better known as Dani, footballer
- José Maria Neves, Prime Minister of Cape Verde between 2001 and 2016
- Gilyto Semedo, singer
- Jovane Cabral, soccer player
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 24 November 2016.
- Cabo Verde, Statistical Yearbook 2015, Instituto Nacional de Estatística, p. 32-33
- Evolução histórica do Concelho de Santa Catarina (1834 – 1912), Ana Zenaida Gomes, 2005, p. 43
- Santa Catarina: Museu da Tabanca abre as portas novamente na próxima semana Archived 2018-08-20 at the Wayback Machine, 17 November 2017
- Source: City Population, citing the Instituto Nacional de Estatística.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Assomada.|