Associação Brasileira de Gays, Lésbicas, Bissexuais, Travestis, Transexuais e Intersexos
The Brazilian Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Travesti, Transsexual and Intersex Association (Associação Brasileira de Gays, Lésbicas, Bissexuais, Travestis, Transexuais e Intersexos or ABGLT), is a national network made up of 203 member groups, including about 141 gay, lesbian, and trans groups, and about 62 "collaborating" organizations which are involved with human rights and AIDS. Since July 2009, ABGLT has consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
It was established by 31 founding groups on January 31, 1995. The organization claims to be the largest LGBT network in Latin America.
According to ABGLT's mission statement, the organization aims "to promote actions that guarantee the citizenship and human rights of lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transvestites and transsexuals, contributing to the construction of a democratic society in which no person is subjected to any form of discrimination, coercion or violence, because of their sexual orientation and gender identity.”
Currently, ABGLT’s objectives include:
- Monitoring the Brazil Without Homophobia Program
- Combatting homophobia in schools
- Combating AIDS and other sexually-transmitted diseases
- The recognition of sexual orientation and gender identity as human rights within Mercosur
- Advocating for LGBT-friendly government policies and budgets
- Training lesbian leaders in human rights and advocacy
- The promotion of employment and welfare opportunities for transgender individuals;
- Training legal consultants on LGBT citizenship issues
- "ILGA | UN Committee on NGOs postpones decision on the status of ABGLT until January 2008". ILGA. 2007-05-22. Archived from the original on 2010-07-13. Retrieved May 9, 2010.
- "ILGA | First Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Organization from the Global South to Gain Consultative Status". ILGA. Archived from the original on 2010-07-13. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- "ONU concede status consultivo a ABGLT" (in Portuguese). G Online. 2009-07-27. Archived from the original on 2009-08-02.
- "Economic and Social Council: Report of the Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations on its 2009 regular session" (PDF).[permanent dead link]
- "NGO Committee Rejects Brazilian Homosexual Group for UN Accreditation". Catholic Family & Human Rights Institute, International Organizations Research Group. February 12, 2009. Archived from the original on July 7, 2009. Retrieved May 9, 2010.
- "A ABGLT". abgltbrasil.blogspot.ie. Retrieved 2018-02-07.