Ashok is a 2006 Indian Telugu-language masala film produced by Maharishi Cinema, directed and written by Surender Reddy, starring NTR Jr., Sameera Reddy, Prakash Raj, and Sonu Sood in the lead roles. It is a movie about redemption in which the title character must make amends to his father after being blamed for his grandmother's death while meeting a girl who understands him and his burdens; at the same time, he must also battle against a mafia-like organisation that hates him.
|Directed by||Surender Reddy|
|Written by||Vakkantham Vamsi (Story) |
Surender Reddy (Screenplay)
|Produced by||Valluripalli Ramesh|
|Edited by||Gowtham Raju|
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Distributed by||Maharshi Cinema|
The movie was released in Andhra Pradesh on 14 July 2006. It was an average grosser at the box office. It was remade into Bengali Bangladesh as Babar Kosom (2007) with Manna and Nipun Akter.
Ashok is a mechanic who is thrown out of his house because of his rash actions that have led to the death of his grandmother. His father still harbours anger against Ashok despite his good behaviour that has a positive outcome. Ashok then happens to meet an insecure yet talented dancer named Anjali and fall in love with her. Anjali witnesses a crime involving KK, the leader of one of the largest crime syndicates in Andhra Pradesh. KK then tries to ensnare Anjali within his evil plans, while Ashok wages a one-man war against KK's gang.
Ashok's friend Rajiv attempts to rescue Anjali, but KK has him killed. Ashok then avenges Rajiv's death by killing KK's brother, Panda. This enrages KK, and his gang captures Ashok's sister, demanding that Ashok hands himself over to them in return for her safety. Ashok's father drags him to KK's manor and orders him to save his sister. Ashok and KK then get into a dramatic fight at Ashok's sister's wedding. Just when it appears that Ashok will emerge the winner, KK's mother tries to shoot Ashok but accidentally kills her own son. She drops the gun and falls down dead, apparently dying of shock. The film ends with Ashok's sister getting married and Ashok receiving his father's forgiveness.
- NTR Jr as Ashok
- Sameera Reddy as Anjali
- Prakash Raj as Ashok's father
- Sonu Sood as KK
- Rajiv Kanakala as Rajiv
- Vadivukkarasi as KK's mother
- Revathi as Ashok's sister
- Rama Prabha as Ashok's grandmother
- Sudha as Ashok's mother
- Raghu Babu as Anjali's brother
- Surekha Vani as Anjali's sister-in-law
- Venu Madhav as Jaggu
- Satyam Rajesh as Rajesh, Ashok's friend
- Supreeth Reddy as Panda, KK's brother
- Jeeva as KK's henchman
- Fish Venkat as KK's henchman
- Narsing Yadav as KK's henchman
- Duvvasi Mohan as TV Reporter
- Chatrapathi Sekhar as Sekhar
- Krishna Bhagavan as Police Inspector
- Ravi Kale
- Stunt Silva
The music was composed by Mani Sharma and released by Aditya Music.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||8 July 2006|
|Mani Sharma chronology|
|1.||"Gola Gola"||Chandrabose||Ravi Varma, Sujatha Mohan||5:10|
|2.||"Nuvvasalu"||Bhaskarabhatla Ravi Kumar||Jassie Gift, K. S. Chitra||5:19|
|5.||"Jabiliki Vennelistha"||Chandrabose||Hariharan, Srivardhini||4:42|
|6.||"Mumtaju Mahalu"||Chandrabose||Devan Ekambaram, Tanvi Shah||5:02|
The film was shot in Super 35 format. It was released with 228 prints.
The film was later dubbed and released in Tamil, Hindi and Bhojpuri as Ashok and The Fighterman Ghayal (2008) respectively. The Malayalam Dubbed version was telecasted on Zee Keralam.
The film collected ₹25 crore in its opening weekend.
- ^ "Ashok". Archived from the original on 5 February 2016.
- ^ "Ashok - Telugu cinema Review - NTR, Sameera Reddy".
- ^ "Ashok audio launch - Telugu Cinema - NTR, Sameera Reddy".
- ^ "allindiansite.com". Ashok on July 13th, with 228 prints. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 8 December 2006.
- ^ "superhit.co.in". Big opening for Jr. NTR starrer Ashok grosses 25 crore for opening week!. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 4 November 2006.