Artsakh State University is the oldest and largest university in the self-proclaimed Republic of Artsakh. Over the course of its nearly 50-year history, Artsakh State University has produced over 20,000 graduates in 60 fields of study. Currently, the university prepares specialists in 31 areas. Instructional languages are Armenian and Russian. The university has established close ties with other educational institutions and universities in Armenia and other countries.
|Stepanakert State Pedagogical Institute|
1992 (under current name)
Study abroad programEdit
In 2011, with the help of Artsakh Development Group, a non-profit organization that helps bring awareness in the United States about issues concerning Artsakh, the university launched a study abroad program. The program was launched with the California State University at Dominguez Hills to allow 12-15 students to spend a summer in Artsakh and take courses on politics, history, and economy regarding Artsakh and Armenia.
The Artsakh State University consists of five departments: the Faculty of Natural Sciences, the Faculty of Philology (Linguistics), the Faculty of Pedagogy and Sports, the Faculty of History and Law, and the Faculty of Economics. The scholars and students of the Artsakh State University commonly engage in research in the areas of National Security, Politics, Agricultural Studies, and Archaeology.
In 2006, a team of international archaeologists began doing research in the village of Azokh where in the 1970s it was discovered that the place is a home to ancient settlers, including Neanderthals. Armenian scientists, including two Artsakh State University students, have been active participants throughout the research period.
- The founding of the Artsakh State University is a heroic deed of the Armenian scientific and educational thought (in Russian)[permanent dead link], the Azat Artsakh newspaper, 3 May 2013 (Retrieved 2 May 2017)
- Artsakh State University, 4 International Colleges & Universities website (Retrieved 18 February 2014)
- Brief historical reference on the Artsakh State University (in Russian), Artsakh State University website (Retrieved 2 May 2017)
- Nagorno Karabakh Republic Artsakh. Office of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic in the USA (Government of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic). Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Education. Office of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic in the USA (Government of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic). Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "ADG Launches Study Abroad Program in Karabakh". Asbarez.com. 6 December 2011. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Hetq.am. (1921). Hetq. [online] Retrieved from: http://hetq.am/eng/culture/0609-azokh.html Archived 31 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine [Accessed: 18 February 2014].
- "Yerkir: Artsakh University to cooperate with University of Central Europe". tert.am. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Trips abroad - University of Central Europe". www.sevs.sk. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- http://www.yerevanreport.com/96941/russianarmenian-slavonic-university-artsakh-state-university-strengthen-relations/[permanent dead link]
- "ADG Launches Study Abroad Program in Karabakh - Asbarez.com". asbarez.com. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "ANOTHER STEP TO INTER-UNIVERSITY COOPERATION". www.artsakhtert.com. Archived from the original on 1 December 2017. Retrieved 21 November 2017.