Arthur Donaldson (actor)
Arthur Donaldson (5 April 1869 – 28 September 1955), was a Swedish-American actor. He appeared in 71 films between 1910 and 1934.
|Born||5 April 1869|
|Died||28 September 1955 (aged 86)|
Long Island, New York, U.S.
He worked for Kalem Company under the direction of Sidney Olcott. During the summer of 1911, he went to Ireland with the O'Kalems, a stage company, to shoot films. They settled in Beaufort, Co Kerry, where they made 13 films, directed by Olcott. Among them: Rory O'More, The Colleen Bawn in which he played a priest, The Fishermaid of Ballydavid, and Arrah-na-Pogue.
After Ireland, he returned briefly to Sweden, appearing in operettas at Oscarsteatern and making two Swedish films (one as director) before going back to America. He also directed Domen (1924), a Swedish-language short film, a version of Retribution, in the DeForest Phonofilm process.
Upon his return to the U.S., he worked again with Sidney Olcott in films such as A Mother of Men (1914), The Irish in America (1915), shot in 1914 in Ireland, The Moth and the Flame (1915), and The Ghost of Twisted Oaks (1915).
In the 1920s, Robert G. Vignola, became director for Cosmopolitan Productions. Donaldson played in When Knighthood Was in Flower (1922) and Yolanda, both with Marion Davies. He also acted in America, directed by D.W. Griffith.
- The Conspiracy of Pontiac – The Indian Chief
- A Lad from Old Ireland (1910) – The Priest
- Rory O'More (1911) – Father O'Brien
- The Colleen Bawn (1911) – Father Tom
- The Fishermaid of Ballydavid (1911) – Kathleen's father
- Arrah-na-Pogue (1911) – O'Grady
- The Atheist (1913) – A Clergyman
- The Day of Days (1914)
- A Mother of Men (1914)
- The Idle Rich (1914)
- Tricking the Government (1914)
- The Moth and the Flame (1915) – Mr Walton
- The Irish in America (1915) – Kerry Bay
- The Ghost of Twisted Oaks (1915) – The Snake charmer
- Enlighten Thy Daughter (1917)
- The Danger Trail (1917)
- His Own People (1917) – Shamus Reilly
- The Green God (1918)
- Over the Top (1918)
- The Golden Goal (1918)
- The A.B.C. of Love (1919)
- Atonement (1919)
- The Undercurrent (1919)
- A Modern Salome (1920)
- Is Life Worth Living? (1921)
- The Rider of the King Log (1921)
- The Silver Lining (1921)
- The Passionate Pilgrim (1921)
- Find the Woman (1922)
- When Knighthood Was in Flower (1922)
- Yolanda (1924)
- America (1924)
- For Woman's Favor (1924)
- The Bandolero (1924)
- The Swan (1925)
- Fifty-Fifty (1925)
- Down Upon the Suwanee River (1925)
- Love 'Em and Leave 'Em (1926)
- Wives at Auction (1926)
- The Winning Oar (1927)
- The Broadway Drifter (1927)
- Hans J. Wollstein (1994). Strangers in Hollywood: the history of Scandinavian actors in American films from 1910 to World War II. Scarecrow Press. pp. 67–73. ISBN 978-0-8108-2938-1. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- Hvar 8 dag (Swedish illustrated weekly magazine) no. 52 1911
- Svensk filmdatabas (Swedish film database) at the website of the Swedish Film Institute
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arthur Donaldson (actor).|