Arroz chaufa also known as Arroz de chaufa (Chinese rice) is a Peruvian fried rice dish. It is a chifa style dish, a mix of Peruvian and Chinese cuisine. It consists of a mix of fried rice with vegetables, usually including Chinese onions, eggs, and chicken, quickly cooked at a high flame, often in a wok with soy sauce and oil. It is highly influenced by Chinese cuisine due to the influx of Chinese immigrants to Peru.
|Alternative names||Peruvian fried rice|
|Place of origin||Peru|
|Associated national cuisine||Peruvian cuisine|
|Main ingredients||Rice, egg, soy sauce, Chinese onions|
|Ingredients generally used||Chilli peppers|
|Variations||Pork, beef, chicken, or shrimp|
One who is specialized in the art of making chaufa is known as a chaufero.
Dark soy sauce is preferred for use with Peruvian fried rice. Meats typically used are usually pork, beef, chicken, and shrimp.
In some regions the rice is replaced with quinoa or pearled wheat while in others, rice is mixed with noodles.
- Arroz chaufa with chicken
- Arroz chaufa with beef
- Arroz chaufa with pork
- Arroz chaufa "airport"
- Arroz chaufa "wild"
- Arroz Chaufa with duck
- Arroz chaufa with jerky
- Arroz chaufa with seafood
- Arroz chaufa with fish
- Arroz chaufa with alligator or lizard
- Arroz chaufa "special"
- Arroz chaufa "Taypa"
- It is possible to adapt the recipe with other grains:
- Chaufa of quinua
- Chaufa of wheat
The dish is accompanied by soy sauce and/or an aji-based cream.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arroz chaufa.|
- Rodríguez Pastor, Humberto (2008). "Gastronomía chino-cantonesa y el chifa peruano" [Chinese-Cantonese Gastronomy and the Peruvian Chifa]. Gaceta Cultural del Perú (in Spanish). 32.
- Zapata Acha, Sergio (November 2006). Diccionario de gastronomía peruana tradicional [Dictionary of traditional Peruvian gastronomy] (in Spanish) (1 ed.). Lima, Peru: Universidad San Martín de Porres. ISBN 9972-54-155-X.
- León, Rafo (2007). Lima Bizarra. Antiguía del centro de la capital [Bizarre Lima. Ancient center of the capital] (in Spanish) (2 ed.). Lima-Perú: Aguilar. pp. 134–136. ISBN 978-9972-848-17-9.
- "Con feria gastronómica promueven consumo de pescado en Cajamarca" [With gastronomic fair promote fish consumption in Cajamarca]. Agencia Andina de Noticias (in Spanish). November 7, 2008.
- Miranda, Luis (2008). "Probando la amazonía" [Testing the Amazon]. Gaceta Cultural del Perú (in Spanish). 32.
- "Beneficiarias ancashinas de Juntos ganan concurso ¡San Marcos con Mucho Gusto!". Agencia Andina de Noticias (in Spanish). December 23, 2008.