Arraiolos (Portuguese pronunciation: [ɐʁɐˈjɔluʃ] (listen)) is a municipality in Évora District in Portugal. The population in 2011 was 7,363, in an area of 683.75 km². The town of Arraiolos has 3,351 inhabitants. The present Mayor is Silvia Pinto, elected by the Unitarian Democratic Coalition.
|Intermunic. comm.||Alentejo Central|
|• President||Silvia Pinto (CDU)|
|• Total||683.75 km2 (264.00 sq mi)|
|• Density||11/km2 (28/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC±00:00 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+01:00 (WEST)|
|Local holiday||Ascension Day|
In October 2003, Jorge Sampaio, the then President of Portugal, invited the Presidents of Finland, Germany, as well as of soon-to-be EU members Hungary, Latvia and Poland to Arraiolos in order to discuss the consequences of the 2004 enlargement of the European Union and plans for a Constitution for Europe. Subsequent meetings of non-executive presidents of European Union member states have been dubbed Arraiolos meetings.
A hoard of prehistoric objects, including a trapezoid-shaped plaque with geometric design and three pottery vessels, was excavated from a tumulus or barrow in Arraiolos at the beginning of the twentieth century. They are now kept at the British Museum.
- Vendas Novas for similar hoard
- Gafanhoeira e Sabugueiro
- São Gregório e Santa Justa
- Instituto Nacional de Estatística
- "Áreas das freguesias, concelhos, distritos e país". Archived from the original on 2018-11-05. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- Fleming, John & Hugh Honour. (1977) The Penguin Dictionary of Decorative Arts. London: Allen Lane, p. 35. ISBN 0713909412
- "Foreign Policy Events, 13-20 October 2003". Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Latvia). Archived from the original on 9 December 2014. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- British Museum Collection
- Diário da República. "Law nr. 11-A/2013, page 552 19" (pdf) (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 July 2014.
|This Évora location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|