Arjan Singh Bhullar (born May 13, 1986) is an Indo-Canadian mixed martial artist currently competing in the heavyweight division of ONE Championship, where he is the current ONE Heavyweight World Champion. He has also competed in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
|Born||Arjan Singh Bhullar|
May 13, 1986
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||235 lb (107 kg; 17 st)|
|Reach||76 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Richmond, British Columbia, Canada|
|Team||Checkmat Vancouver (formerly) |
American Kickboxing Academy (2014–present)
|Wrestling||Olympic Freestyle Wrestling |
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Simon Fraser University|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Bhullar is also a former freestyle wrestler and folkstyle wrestler. As a freestyle wrestler, Bhullar has represented Canada at the 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011 World Championships, at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, at the 2007 Pan American Games and at the 2012 Summer Olympics. In folkstyle, Bhullar is a 2-time NAIA Champion and 1-time freestyle CIS Champion from Canada.
Early life and FolkstyleEdit
Bhullar was born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia. He started wrestling at a young age. As a collegiate wrestler, he competed for the Simon Fraser Clan at Simon Fraser University, a NAIA university at the time. He had a successful career while wrestling at 285 pounds, placing third in 2007 and becoming champion in 2008 and 2009 at the NAIA Wrestling Championships. He was also named Canada's Wrestler of the year and NAIA outstanding wrestler in 2009. At the 2009 CIS Championships, Bhullar became the first wrestler to ever win the NAIA and CIS titles in the same year.
Bhullar won a gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Arjan represented Canada at the 2012 London Summer Olympics. Giving back to wrestling, Arjan is one of the founding coaches of the University of the Fraser Valley varsity wrestling program. The UFV Cascades compete in the CIS.
For five years, Bhullar was a member of the Canadian National Team and was also the National Champion since 2008 to 2012 at 120 kilograms. In 2006, Bhullar placed third at the World University Championships. In 2007, he won a bronze medal at the Pan American Games and competed at the World Championships. He competed again at the World Championships in 2009 and 2010, in the latter year he also won the championship at 120 kg of the Commonwealth Games. In 2012 he became the first Canadian wrestler with South Asian ethnicity to represent the National Freestyle Wrestling Team at the Summer Olympics. He ended up placing 13th.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
In August 2014, Bhullar had his first amateur fight as a mixed martial artist. He turned pro in November of that year fighting with the Battlefield Fight League. Over the next few years, Bhullar competed exclusively in his native Canada and remained undefeated with a record of six wins. Arjan won the vacant BFL Heavyweight Title with a victory over Blake Nash on October 17, 2015. He has defended the title twice.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Bhullar's next fight was against Adam Wieczorek on April 14, 2018, at UFC on Fox 29. After controlling the first round with his wrestling, Bhullar would eventually get caught with an omoplata early in the second round, officially losing the fight via submission at 1:59 of round 2.
On July 3, 2019, it was announced that Bhullar signed a deal with Asia-based MMA promotion ONE Championship, and was expected to make his promotional debut against Mauro Cerilli at ONE Championship: Dawn of Heroes on August 2, 2019. However, Cerilli pulled out of the bout due to staph infection and the fight was cancelled. The fight eventually took place at ONE Championship: Century on October 13, 2019, with Bhullar winning by unanimous decision.
On February 1, 2020, it was announced that Bhullar would be challenging Brandon Vera for the ONE Heavyweight World Championship at ONE Championship: Code of Honor on May 29, 2020, but the duel was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Bhullar faced Brandon Vera for the ONE Heavyweight World Championship at ONE Championship: Dangal on May 15, 2021. He defeated Vera via second-round technical knockout to win the ONE Heavyweight World Championship, becoming the first fighter of Indian descent to win an MMA world title.
Championships and achievementsEdit
Mixed martial artsEdit
- ONE Championship
- ONE Heavyweight World Championship (one time, current)
- Battlefield Fight League
- BFL Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- United World Wrestling
- 2012 Germany Grand Prix Gold Medalist
- 2012 Pan American Olympic Qualification Tournament Gold Medalist
- 2010 Commonwealth Games Gold Medalist
- 2007 Pan American Games Bronze Medalist
- 2006 World University Championships Bronze Medalist
- 2005 World Junior Championships - 5th place
- 2004 Pan American Championships Gold Medalist
- Wrestling Canada Lutte
- 2012 Canadian Olympic Team Member
- 2012 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2011 Canadian Senior World Team Member
- 2011 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2010 Canadian Senior World Team Member
- 2010 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2009 Canadian Senior Wrestler of the Year
- 2009 Canadian Senior World Team Member
- 2009 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2008 Canadian Senior National Champion
- 2007 Canadian Senior World Team Member
- 2006 Canadian Junior National Champion
- 2006 Canadian Junior World Team Member
- 2005 Canadian Junior National Champion
- 2005 Canadian Junior World Team Member
- National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Canadian Interuniversity Sport
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|12 matches||11 wins||1 loss|
|Win||11–1||Brandon Vera||TKO (punches)||ONE Championship: Dangal||April 28, 2021||2||4:27||Kallang, Singapore||Won the ONE Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||10–1||Mauro Cerilli||Decision (unanimous)||ONE Championship: Century Part 2||October 13, 2019||3||5:00||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||9–1||Juan Adams||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Iaquinta vs. Cowboy||May 4, 2019||3||5:00||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||8–1||Marcelo Golm||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Volkan vs. Smith||October 27, 2018||3||5:00||Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada|
|Loss||7–1||Adam Wieczorek||Submission (omoplata)||UFC on Fox: Poirier vs. Gaethje||April 14, 2018||2||1:59||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
|Win||7–0||Luis Henrique||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 215||September 9, 2017||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||6–0||Joe Yager||Decision (unanimous)||Battlefield Fight League 48||April 29, 2017||3||5:00||Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||5–0||Chris Catala||TKO (punches)||Hard Knocks 51||October 14, 2016||1||4:29||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||4–0||Ryan Pokryfky||Decision (unanimous)||Battlefield Fight League 45||September 17, 2016||5||5:00||Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada||Defended the BFL Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||3–0||Blake Nash||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Battlefield Fight League 39||October 17, 2015||2||5:00||Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada||Won the vacant BFL Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||2–0||Jon-Taine Hall||Decision (unanimous)||Hard Knocks 44||June 28, 2015||3||5:00||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||1–0||Adam Santos||TKO (punches)||Battlefield Fight League 33||November 7, 2014||3||2:22||Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada|
- "Arjan Bhullar using UFC spotlight to inspire, promote positivity". Sportsnet. October 26, 2018.
- Arjan Bhullar grateful for Daniel Cormier's praise after ONE Championship title win. MMAjunkie.com. May 20, 2021 – via YouTube.
- "2012 Summer Olympics - Athletes". Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- "2009 NAIA National Wrestling Championship" (PDF). Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- motivate-admin. "Arjan Bhullar - Wrestling". www.motivatecanada.ca. Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- "Lindenwood University (MO) Wins 2007 NAIA Wrestling National Championship" (PDF).
- "Notre Dame wins first NAIA national title in wrestling". InterMat. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- Committee, Canadian Olympic. "ARJAN BHULLAR". www.vancouversun.com. Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- Bryant, Jason (June 7, 2009). "Bhullar first wrestler to win both NAIA and CIS Championships". The Open Mat. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- "Jumpers lift Canada's medal count on Day 7". CBC Sports. October 10, 2010.
- "Arjan Bhullar Bio, Stats, and Results". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Archived from the original on April 18, 2020. Retrieved February 25, 2016.
- UFV, 2013, Anthony Lepki, Marcom. "Arjan Bhullar | UFV Cascades". Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- UFV, 2013, Anthony Lepki, Marcom. "Arjan Bhullar | UFV Cascades". Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- "2006 WUC Wrestling Results" (PDF). Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- "Top 5 North American Collegiate Wrestlers in ONE Championship | ONE Championship - Features". ONE Championship - The Home Of Martial Arts. March 18, 2020. Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- "Arjan Bhullar". Team Canada - Official Olympic Team Website. October 25, 2011. Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- Booth, Mark. "Bhullar Wrestling producing national champions". Richmond News. Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- "Olympian Arjan Bhullar makes his MMA debut on August 23rd against undefeated heavyweight Josh Morgan -". battlefieldfl.com. July 23, 2014.
- "Richmond's Arjan Bhullar ready to rock the UFC as its first Indian fighter". vancouversun.com. May 28, 2017. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- Staff (June 8, 2017). "Luis Henrique vs. Olympian Arjan Bhullar booked for UFC 216 in Edmonton". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- "UFC 215 results: Arjan Bhullar starts quick, survives late Luis Henrique charge". MMAjunkie. September 9, 2017. Retrieved September 10, 2017.
- Staff (January 9, 2018). "Arjan Bhullar announces UFC heavyweight bout vs. Adam Wieczorek". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- "UFC on FOX 29 results: Adam Wieczorek struggles early, then taps Arjan Bhullar with rare omoplata". MMAjunkie. April 14, 2018. Retrieved April 15, 2018.
- Staff (July 31, 2018). "Arjan Bhullar says he's fighting Marcelo Golm at UFC Fight Night 138". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- "Arjan Bhullar Defeats Marcelo Golm (UFC Moncton Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com". www.mmaweekly.com. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- Jesse Holland (February 20, 2019). "UFC Ottawa official for May 4 on ESPN+". mmamania.com. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- Shillan, Keith (May 4, 2019). "UFC Ottawa Results: Arjan Bhullar Edges Out Juan Adams". Cageside Press. Retrieved May 5, 2019.
- Mike Bohn (May 5, 2019). "Arjan Bhullar expects new contract after UFC on ESPN+ 9 win, plans on 'neutering' Andrei Arlovski". mmajunkie.com.
- "Arjun Bhullar signs with ONE Championship". July 3, 2019. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- Tudor Leonte (July 5, 2019). "UFC Veteran Arjan Bhullar to Clash with Mauro Cerilli at One: Dawn of Heroes". sherdog.com.
- Martin, Damon (August 2, 2019). "Arjan Bhullar's ONE Championship debut scrapped hours ahead of the event". MMA Fighting. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "Brandon Vera to defend heavyweight title against Arjan Bhullar at ONE: 'Code of Honor'". Asian MMA. February 1, 2020. Retrieved February 1, 2020.
- "Brandon Vera to defend heavyweight title against Arjan Bhullar at ONE: 'Dangal'". Asian MMA. April 29, 2021. Retrieved April 29, 2021.
- News, Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBN (May 15, 2021). "MMA: Bhullar stops Vera, crowns self as new ONE heavyweight king". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved May 15, 2021.
- "Arjan Bhullar stops Brandon Vera, claims heavyweight crown at ONE: 'Dangal'". Asian MMA. May 15, 2021. Retrieved May 15, 2021.
- "Sikh UFC fighter Arjan Bhullar will wear a turban at this weekend's UFC event". bbc.co.uk. April 13, 2018.
- Lynch, James; Sapp, Sean Ross (April 4, 2018). "Exclusive: UFC's Arjan Bhullar Talks Friendship With Jinder Mahal, Possible Move To WWE, Upcoming Fight | Fightful News". www.fightful.com. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- Sherdog.com. "Arjan Singh Bhullar MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog. Retrieved October 28, 2018.