Area codes 704 and 980
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Area codes 704 and 980 are telephone area codes in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) for Charlotte and all or part of 12 surrounding counties in south-central North Carolina. Other major cities in the service area are Gastonia, Kannapolis, Concord, Mooresville, Salisbury, Statesville, and Shelby. The South Carolina side of the Charlotte metropolitan area is part of area code 803.
The main area code, 704, was one of the original 86 codes assigned by AT&T for numbering plan areas (NPA) in 1947. At that time, the entire state of North Carolina was a single number plan area. In 1954, Winston-Salem and points east were split off with area code 919, leaving 704 assigned to the western third of the state from Charlotte to the Blue Ridge Mountains.
This configuration remained in place for the next 44 years. Despite explosive growth in Charlotte, the state's largest city, the western third of the state was not as densely populated as the eastern two-thirds, which grew from having one area code to four during the 1990s. By the mid-1990s, Charlotte's rapid growth and the ensuing demand for telephone lines made a split inevitable. In 1998, most of the western portion of the old 704 territory, including the Foothills and Blue Ridge, were split off to create area code 828, restricting 704 to the Charlotte area.
The creation of 828 was intended as a long-term solution. Within two years, however, 704 was close to exhaustion once again due to Charlotte's continued growth, as well as the proliferation of cell phones and pagers. The number supply was further limited because the Charlotte LATA spills into portions of Charlotte's suburbs in South Carolina, meaning several numbers in 803 were not available for use.
To solve the problem, area code 980 was created as the state's first overlay plan. Permissive dialing with only seven digits was still possible between May 1, 2000 and March 15, 2001, after which, ten-digit dialing was mandatory.
- Alexander (sliver in southeast is in 704/980, most of county is in 828)
- Catawba (slivers in southeast and northeast are in 704/980, most of county is in 828)
- Cleveland (except sliver in southwest which is in 828)
- Mecklenburg (all landline phone numbers in Charlotte-Mecklenburg public schools use 980 area code)
Cities and townsEdit
- Bessemer City
- All Charlotte–Mecklenburg Public School landlines use the 980 area code.
- China Grove
- Indian Trail
- Love Valley
- Mint Hill
- Mount Holly
- Mount Ulla
- "Planning Letter 229: NPA 980 To Overlay NPA 704 (North Carolina)" (PDF). North American Numbering Plan Administration. North American Numbering Plan Administration. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- "Planning Letter 258: Revised Mandatory Dialing Date for NPA 704 (North Carolina)" (PDF). North American Numbering Plan Administration. North American Numbering Plan Administration. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- NANPA area code map of North Carolina
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 704 Area Code
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 980 Area Code
|North Carolina area codes: 252, 336/743, 704/980, 828, 910, 919/984|
|North: 336 / 743|
|West: 828||704 / 980||East: 910|
|South: 803, 843|
|South Carolina area codes: 803, 843/854, 864|