An archenemy may also be referred to as archrival, archfoe, archvillain,[better source needed] or archnemesis. However, an archenemy may also be distinguished from a nemesis, with the latter being an enemy who the hero cannot defeat (or who defeats the hero), even while not being a longstanding or consistent enemy to the hero.
- "archenemy definition". Dictionary.com. Archived from the original on 5 October 2008. Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- "archenemy – Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary". Merriam-Webster. Retrieved 26 June 2008.
- Wicaksono, Rachel. "BBC World Service | Learning English | Ask about English". BBC. Retrieved 26 June 2008.
- "Definition of ARCHRIVAL". www.merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 11 October 2019.
- "Definition of ARCHVILLAIN". www.merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 11 October 2019.
- Sage Michael, How to Become a Superhero: the Ultimate Guide to the Ultimate You! (2011), p. 228.