Arakawa (荒川区 Arakawa-ku) is a special ward located in Tokyo Metropolis, Japan. The ward takes its name from the river, the Arakawa, though the Arakawa River does not run through or touch the ward. Its neighbors are the wards of Adachi, Kita, Bunkyo, Taito and Sumida. In English, the ward calls itself Arakawa City.
Sumida River from Suijin Bridge in Arakawa
Location of Arakawa in Tokyo Metropolis
|• Mayor||Taichiro Nishikawa (since November 2004)|
|• Total||10.16 km2 (3.92 sq mi)|
(May 1, 2015)
|• Density||20,550/km2 (53,200/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Cherry blossom|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (JST)|
|City hall address||Arakawa 2-2-3, Arakawa, Tokyo|
The area was mainly agricultural in the Edo period. In 1651, Kozukappara, the Tokugawa's largest execution ground (now located next to Minami-Senju station), was built. Beginning in the Meiji era, the area became industrial as factories were built on the water front.
In 1932, it became one of the 35 wards of Tokyo City.
Districts and neighborhoodsEdit
a - (1-chōme)
b - (1, 2, 3, 4 & 8-chōme)
c - (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8-chōme)
d - (5, 6, 7-chōme)
MIAT Mongolian Airlines's Tokyo Branch Office is on the fifth floor in the Tachibana Building in Arakawa. Iseki, a tractor and engine equipment manufacturer has its Tokyo head office in the ward.
Public elementary and middle schools are operated by the Arakawa City Board of Education.
Public high schools are operated by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Board of Education.
The metropolis operated the Tokyo Metropolitan College of Aeronautical Engineering in Arakawa until 2010.
- JR East
- Tokyo Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation
- Tokyo Metro
- Keisei Electric Railway Keisei Main Line: Nippori, Shin-Mikawashima, Machiya Stations
- Metropolitan Intercity Railway Company Tsukuba Express: Minami-Senju Station
Additional facilities are under construction.
- Route 4 (the Nikkō Kaidō)
- Meiji Street
- Ogubashi Street
- Otakebashi Street
- "Contact Us." MIAT Mongolian Airlines. Retrieved on July 29, 2016. "TOKYO BRANCH OFFICE 5F, Tachibana Bldg, 2-19-4 Nishinippori, Arakawa-ku, Tokyo 116-0013, Japan "
- "Company Outline." Iseki. Retrieved on March 31, 2018.
- "アクセス." Tokyo First Korean Elementary and Junior High School. Retrieved on October 13, 2015. "116-0014 東京都荒川区東日暮里３－８－５"
- "Tokyo Metropolitan College of Aeronautical Engineering". Tokyo Metropolitan College of Aeronautical Engineering. Archived from the original on 2009-03-09. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- 東京都立航空工業高等専門学校 (in Japanese). 東京都立航空工業高等専門学校. Retrieved 2016-07-29.