|General Secretary||Bashir Hawady|
|Founded||11 June 1971|
|Dissolved||3 March 1977|
Many aspects of Muammar Gaddafi's Libyan socialist revolution were based on that of Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser. Like Nasser, Gaddafi seized power with a Free Officers Movement, which in 1971 became the Arab Socialist Union of Libya. Like its Egyptian counterpart, the Libyan ASU was the sole legal party and was designed as a vehicle for integrated national expression rather than as a political party.
- Political Culture in Libya. Routledge. 5 September 2013. p. 46. ISBN 9781136115868.
- Cairo Press Review. 21 June 1973. p. 26.
- "Libya - The Arab Socialist Union". countrystudies.us. Retrieved 2021-06-02.
- Cairo Press Review, 1972. p. 11
- The Middle East: Abstracts and index, Vol. 23, Part 2. Library Information and Research Service., 1999. p. 248