Appleton-Century-Crofts, Inc. was a division of the Meredith Publishing Company. It is a result of the merger of Appleton-Century Company with F.S. Crofts Co. in 1948. Prior to that The Century Company had merged with D. Appleton & Company in 1933.
|Successor||Appleton & Lange (medical)|
Prentice Hall (textbooks)
Hawthorn Books (trade)
|Country of origin||United States|
The Century Company and its subsequent incarnations published the New Century Dictionary.
- 1948 Appleton-Century Company, founded in 1933, merged with F. S. Crofts Co., founded in 1924, to form Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- 1960 Purchased by Meredith Publishing Company
- 1969 Meredith trade books division sold to Hawthorn Books
- 1973 Appleton textbook division purchased by Prentice Hall; the medical division retains the Appleton name
- 1974 New Century division sold to Charles Walther, and was later renamed New Win Publishing
- 1998 Prentice Hall merged with Pearson Education
- 1999 Pearson Education sells successor company Appleton & Lange to McGraw-Hill
- 2003 Academic Learning Company, LLC acquired New Win Publishing, which was a division of New Century Publishing
- Century vagabond books of travel
- New Century Dictionary. (1963). ii. New York:Appleton-Century-Crofts, Inc.