Apple Watch Series 2
The Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch Series 2 are the second-generation model of the Apple Watch. It uses an Apple S2 (series 2) or Apple S1P (series 1) SIP (System in Package), has a built-in quick-on GPS (Series 2) and the display has twice the brightness of the previous generation for easier readability outdoors. The Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 require an iPhone 5 or later on iOS 10 or later.
Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters. It can keep track of the number of laps and distance while swimming. During swimming, the touch function can be manually disabled with 'Underwater mode'. Once this is turned off, by rotating the Digital Crown continuously, it uses the speaker for expelling residual water. The Apple Watch Series 2 has a built-in GPS system. The most recently used apps are saved in the background, so apps and information load faster. The Apple Watch Series 2 was sold in polished Stainless Steel, starting at $549. The Series 1, however, was sold only in matte Aluminium, which is a cheaper material, and lowered the price. Stainless Steel was the only option in the first-generation model. The Series 2 still needs to be charged up nightly. Clicking the side button brings up your most recently used Apple Watch apps. The display is also brighter, from 450 nits to 1000.
The Apple Series 2 was first released with watchOS 3 preinstalled, and is still compatible today with the newest version, watchOS 5.3.
The Series 1 is an updated version of the Apple Watch, released alongside the Series 2. Both the Series 1 and 2 have faster processors than the first-generation model, but the Series 2 also has waterproofing and swimming workouts. The first-generation Apple Watch is commonly called the Series 0 by the surrounding communities, but Apple itself doesn't use this name.
- Torres, Timothy. "Apple Watch Series 2 vs. Samsung Gear S3: Smartwatch Smackdown". PC Magazine. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- Graziano, Dan. "Apple Watch Series 2 vs. Samsung Gear S3 vs. Fitbit vs. Android Wear vs. Garmin vs. Pebble". CNET. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- "Apple Introduces Apple Watch Series 2, The Ultimate Device For A Healthy Life". apple.com. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- "Apple Watch Series 2 – Technical Specifications". support.apple.com. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- McGARRY, CAITLYN. “Apple Watch Series 2 Review: A Faster, Brighter Fitness Machine.” Macworld - Digital Edition, vol. 33, no. 11, Nov. 2016, pp. 113–120. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=119028546&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
- OCHS, SUSIE. “APPLE WATCH SERIES 2 HANDS-ON: Ceramic Is Stunning, but Hermès Overpriced.” Macworld - Digital Edition, Oct. 2016, pp. 101–107. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=118301276&site=ehost-live&scope=site.