Anthony Price (16 August 1928 – 30 May 2019) was an author of espionage thrillers. Price was born in Hertfordshire, England. He attended The King's School, Canterbury and served in the British Army from 1947 to 1949, reaching the rank of Captain. He read History at Merton College, Oxford from 1949 to 1952, and was awarded an MA in 1956. Price was a journalist with the Westminster Press from 1952 to 1988, as well as the editor of the Oxford Times from 1972 to 1988. He was the author of nineteen novels in the Dr David Audley/Colonel Jack Butler series. These books focus on a group of counter-intelligence agents who work for an organization loosely based on the real MI5.
|Born||John Allan Anthony Price|
16 August 1928
|Died||30 May 2019 (aged 90)|
|Education||The King's School, Canterbury|
|Alma mater||Merton College, Oxford|
|Children||James, Simon, and Kate|
- The Labyrinth Makers (1970) UK; (1971) US; winner of Silver Dagger Award.
- The Alamut Ambush (1971) UK; (1972) US
- Colonel Butler's Wolf (1972) UK; (1973) US
- October Men (1973) UK; (1974) US
- Other Paths to Glory (1974) UK; (1975) US; winner of Gold Dagger Award, and shortlisted for the Dagger of Daggers, a special award given in 2005 by the Crime Writers' Association(CWA) to celebrate its 50th anniversary.
- Our Man in Camelot (1975) UK; (1976) US
- War Game (1976) UK; (1977) US
- The '44 Vintage (1978)
- Tomorrow's Ghost (1979)
- The Hour of the Donkey (1980)
- Soldier No More (1981)
- The Old Vengeful (1982)
- Gunner Kelly (1983)
- Sion Crossing (1984)
- Here Be Monsters (1985)
- For the Good of the State (1986)
- A New Kind of War (1987) UK; (1988) US
- A Prospect of Vengeance (1988)
- The Memory Trap (1989)
- The Road to Suez – first published in The Rigby File (1989), ed. Tim Heald
- The Eyes of the Fleet: A Popular History of Frigates and Frigate Captains 1793–1815 (1990)
- Levens, R.G.C., ed. (1964). Merton College Register 1900-1964. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. p. 407.
- "The Labyrinth Makers". The Crime Writers’ Association. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Other Paths to Glory". The Crime Writers’ Association. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Roberts, James (6 June 2019). "OBITUARY: Ex-Oxford Times editor and crime author Anthony Price". Oxford Mail. Newsquest Media Group Ltd. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Anthony Price, much-admired author of the Dr David Audley spy novels – obituary". The Telegraph. 2 June 2019. (registration required)
- Ripley, Mike (9 June 2019). "Anthony Price obituary". The Guardian. Guardian News & Media Ltd. Retrieved 10 June 2019.