Anthony Coombs (Canadian football)
Anthony Coombs (born October 26, 1992) is a professional Canadian football running back for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League (CFL). In the CFL's Amateur Scouting Bureau final rankings, he was ranked eighth best of the players eligible in the 2014 CFL Draft. He was then drafted third overall by the Toronto Argonauts and signed with the team on May 27, 2014. He played Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) football with the Manitoba Bisons.
|No. 1 Hamilton Tiger-Cats|
Coombs before a Tiger-Cats game in 2019.
|Born:||October 26, 1992|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (175 cm)|
|Weight||190 lb (86 kg)|
|CFL draft||2014 / Round: 1 / Pick: 3|
|Drafted by||Toronto Argonauts|
|Career highlights and awards|
In Coombs' fourth season in the league, and first under new Head Coach Marc Trestman, his role in the offense expanded greatly; averaging 5.2 receptions per game. On August 22, mid-way through the season, it was announced that Coombs would have to undergo shoulder surgery. At the time, Trestman said he was hopeful Coombs could return to action before the end of the season. Indeed he did, as he played in the last game of the regular season on November 4, 2017, recording two catches for 31 yards. In the East Final against the Saskatchewan Roughriders, Coombs had a team-leading nine receptions for 77 yards and one carry for three yards. He dressed in the 105th Grey Cup game, but did not record any stats as his team went on to win the Grey Cup championship over the Calgary Stampeders.
Coombs began the 2018 Toronto Argonauts season on the one-game injured list before being transferred to the six-game injured list as he recovered from an ankle injury. Coombs played in only two games in 2018 as he struggled to stay healthy. Following the season, he was re-signed by the Argos to a one-year contract. However, he was released during 2019 training camp on June 5, 2019.
- "Revisiting the pre-draft Scouting Bureau - CFL.ca". 17 April 2014. Archived from the original on 24 April 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Toronto Argos select Anthony Coombs at CFL draft". 14 May 2014.
- "Boatmen lock up entire 2014 Draft class - CFL.ca". 27 May 2014. Archived from the original on 30 May 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Report: Coombs to undergo shoulder surgery". CFL.ca. 2017-08-21. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "East Final Boxscore". CFL.ca. 2017-11-19. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- "Home-opener a 'sense of pride' for Argonauts". torontosun.com. 2018-06-21. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- "Argos extend WR Coombs, DL Gaydosh - CFL.ca". CFL.ca. 2018-11-13. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Argos release national WR Anthony Coombs". June 5, 2019.
- "Former Argo Anthony Coombs added to Ticats PR". June 19, 2019.