Annual Review of Environment and Resources
The Annual Review of Environment and Resources is a peer-reviewed academic journal that publishes review articles about environmental science and environmental engineering. It was first published in 1976 under the name the Annual Review of Energy. In 1991, the name was changed to the Annual Review of Energy and the Environment; it was again retitled in 2003 to the Annual Review of Environment and Resources. In 2020, it was published open access for the first time.
|Edited by||Ashok Gadgil|
Thomas P. Tomich
|Annual Review of Energy|
Annual Review of Energy and the Environment
|History||1976–present, 45 years old|
Annual Reviews (United States)
|ISO 4||Annu. Rev. Environ. Resour.|
The first volume of the journal was published in by Annual Reviews in 1976, under the title the Annual Review of Energy. One of the events that sparked its creation was the 1970s energy crisis. Unlike previous Annual Reviews titles, its subject area was interdisciplinary and lacked a history of literature. The first volume covered the energy system of the United States, and the journal's first editor was Jack M. Hollander.
In 1991, the journal's name was changed to the Annual Review of Energy and the Environment. This was done in recognition that energy research and issues were interconnected with environmental issues. In 2003, the focus on the environment was further emphasized with an additional name change, to the Annual Review of Environment and Resources. Content published in the journal relates to environmental science and environmental engineering, such as ecology, conservation biology, energy development, hydrology, climate change, oceanography, and agriculture.
Under Annual Reviews's "Subscribe to Open" publishing model, it was announced that the 2020 volume of Annual Review of Environment and Resources would be published open access, a first for the journal. As of 2020, it was published both in print and electronically.
The Annual Review of Environment and Resources is helmed by the editor or co-editors. The editor is assisted by the editorial committee, which includes associate editors, regular members, and occasionally guest editors. Guest members participate at the invitation of the editor, and serve terms of one year. All other members of the editorial committee are appointed by the Annual Reviews board of directors and serve five-year terms. The editorial committee determines which topics should be included in each volume and solicits reviews from qualified authors. Unsolicited manuscripts are not accepted. Peer review of accepted manuscripts is undertaken by the editorial committee.
List of editorsEdit
- Jack M. Hollander 1975–1992
- Robert H. Socolow 1992–2002
- Pamela Matson 2003–2008
- Ashok Gadgil and Diana Liverman 2009–2015
- Ashok Gadgil and Thomas P. Tomich 2015–present
Current editorial committeeEdit
As of 2021, the editorial committee consists of the co-editors and the following members:
- "Journal Impact Factors". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 2 October 2020.
- "Preface". Annual Review of Energy. 1 (1): annurev.eg.1.091306.100001. 1976. doi:10.1146/annurev.eg.1.091306.100001. ISSN 0362-1626.
- "Preface". Annual Review of Energy and the Environment. 17 (1): annurev.eg.17.091406.100001. 1992. doi:10.1146/annurev.eg.17.091406.100001. ISSN 1056-3466.
- "Preface". Annual Review of Energy and the Environment. 16 (1): annurev.eg.16.091406.100001. 1991. doi:10.1146/annurev.eg.16.091406.100001. ISSN 1056-3466.
- Matson, Pamela; Clark, William; Gadgil, Ashok; Gleick, Peter; Kammen, Daniel; Kennedy, Donald; Liverman, Diana; Naylor, Rosamond; Schimel, David (2003). "Preface by Editorial Committee". Annual Review of Environment and Resources. 28 (1): annurev.eg.28.010103.100001. doi:10.1146/annurev.eg.28.010103.100001. ISSN 1543-5938.
- "Annual Review of Environment and Resources". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "Jisc supports pioneering open access model Subscribe to Open". 10 March 2020.
- "Expected Publication Dates". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- "Editorial Principles and Policies". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- "Information for Unsolicited Authors and Reviewers". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- "Robert Harry Socolow | Dean of the Faculty". dof.princeton.edu. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- "Pamela Matson". Stanford Earth. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "Preface". Annual Review of Environment and Resources. 34. 2009. doi:10.1146/annurev.eg.34.101209.100011.
- Gadgil, Ashok; Tomich, Thomas P. (2015-11-04). "Who Should Read This Journal?". Annual Review of Environment and Resources. 40 (1): annurev–eg–40-102815-100001. doi:10.1146/annurev-eg-40-102815-100001. ISSN 1543-5938.
- "Annual Review of Environment and Resources, Current Editorial Committe". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 4 January 2021.